Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    The horror of web publishing with art

Times New Roman3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Mackman
    The title says it all!

How do i stop people right clicking and then saving or printing images from my website?

Cheers

Dan
    Graphics little helpers :
    NO RIGHT CLICK :

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">
    <!-- Original: Martin Webb (martin@irt.org) -->

<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
    <!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->

<!-- Begin
    function right(e) {
    if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' &&
    (e.which == 3 || e.which == 2))
    return false;
    else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&
    (event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)) {
    alert("STOP IT !.");
    return false;
    }
    return true;
    }

document.onmousedown=right;
    document.onmouseup=right;
    if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
    window.onmousedown=right;
    window.onmouseup=right;
    // End -->
    </script>

Paste this into the <head> of your document

NO IMAGE TOOL BAR : ( thank you MS )

This is a meta tag that may be usefull. it also goes into the head of the document :

<META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">

Also, there are plenty of website out there that offer free cut and paste Java Script, HTML, DHTML, and so on. Just go to your favortite search engine and type in "Free cut and paste Java, Java Script, DHTML, and HTML.

In the meantime, here are some sites that may help you out :

http://javascript.internet.com
    http://www.codelifter.com
    http://www.wsabstract.com

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Mackman
    The title says it all!

How do i stop people right clicking and then saving or printing images from my website?

Cheers

Dan
    Also, I forgot, you can decrease the amount of colors used in your images, sometimes making them just black and white. Watermarking is also an excellent idea. There are programs out there that allow for that such as Adobe Photo Shop, and Paint shop pro.

Member #
    The No Right Click Script won't help much. All they have to do is click and drag the image to the address bar(in IE anyway) and the image appears by itself on a new page. They can then save it from there. Ctrl+U makes the page source appear, all they have to do is go to the directory of the image and dwld it from there.
    --Kevin
    15" MacBook Pro With: Mac OSX 10.4.11(Tiger) 1440x900 Windows XP SP2 3GB RAM 1TB HDD
    kevind_2007--"Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."--Babe Ruth

Links:Firefox Download||Google|| HTML Help||DHTML|| Web Design Terminology||Good-Tutorials

Member #
    What about disabling right click/image bar, and then opening the image through PHP's GD lib? You could then only allow access to the picture if it somes from your HTML page and not if it's the direct link - eg. http://www.whatever.com/dir/image.php?img=whatever. Then hide the pics outside of your webroot where PHP can get them, but you can't from the address bar.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kevind_2007
    The No Right Click Script won't help much. All they have to do is click and drag the image to the address bar(in IE anyway) and the image appears by itself on a new page. They can then save it from there. Ctrl+U makes the page source appear, all they have to do is go to the directory of the image and dwld it from there.
    But, with watermarking, and the correct meta tags, it makes it more trouble than it is worth to try and steal your art. I am an artist also, and do sometimes post a web page. The idea is to display the art, not to put it up for grabs. Making the images too small to be a poster, watermarking them, and/or reducing the colors used, ( if you do black and white, or if your work looks ok with black and white, ) realy reduces the possiblility of people doing those horrible things.

Member #
    If it's on your screen, then it's takeable, and some people will stop at nothing to be able to obtain your work. I remember seeing a good tutorial on DeviantART for putting an invisible watermark on your image.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/8023576/

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE
    If it's on your screen, then it's takeable, and some people will stop at nothing to be able to obtain your work. I remember seeing a good tutorial on DeviantART for putting an invisible watermark on your image.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/8023576/
    This is true, but in the meantime, I realy try to advise people to safe guard their work. Bottom line, if one doesnt want to be taken, dont publish. But if one does publish, be carefull, the web is a very big place

Member #
    If your image is on a website and viewed on the end-users browser then they can get at it END OF STORY! Either by simply right-clicking and 'save as', retrieving from their cache, disabling JavaScript or simply hitting 'print screen' and cropping in a graphics programme, basically you are fighting a losing battle.
    Even watermarked images can be touched up in Photoshop or PSP.

If the images are really that valuable to you then don't put them online!

Member #
    This is just a theory i have, but if you used something like VBScript, could you disable the Print Screen button on that page? Also if you put your images into a script of some sort (Flash, Java, or perhaps something else which will stop people saving it), would it stop the persons ability to save your images?

Member #
    This is a great discussion on how to steal images.

Any one who is computer savy enough can do it. There are too many ways. The best you can do is make it hard for those who don't know all of these tricks.
    -Have we eaten on the insane root That takes the reason prisoner?-
    MacBeth, I:3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads