Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: custom 404

Member #
    Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this....

Anyways ive got a question about custom 404 pages if anyone can help.
    The problem is i get an error page when ever i alter the .htaccess page to show a custom 404. The whole site is effected, no pages will load..... Im using a code ive used on numerous sites b4 without problems

ErrorDocument 404 error.htm

Could it be something to do with the server? Someone suggested it was to do with FrontPage Extensions being enabled..ive contacted my host and FP isnt enabled.....can anyoneshed some light?

The server info is:

Apache/1.3.20 Sun Cobalt (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6b PHP/4.1.2 mod_auth_pam_external/0.1 FrontPage/4.0.4.3 mod_perl/1.25

Thanks in advance

Rikki

Member #
    I had a problem like that once. Have you asked you host about it? Cause sometimes certain things are disabled on servers.

Member #
    Yup your host would know best, some servers don't allow custom error pages, and others have special rules you need to follow to get it working correctly.

Have you tried putting a "/" infront of error.htm or using the full URI? http://www.yourdomain.com/error.htm

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sometimes you need to add in the options as .htaccess files occasionally wipe out all server presents. I believe it's
    Code:
    Indexes +Options
    ErrorDocument 404 error.htm
    Also remember the extra line break after your last .htaccess command so it's actually executed.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads