Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Is it possible to set a scroll property for tables in dreamweaver? I need it because layers don't position right. So just wondering if you can do it and if so how?

Thanks, will7.
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I don't think you can do that but you can set an iframe inside the table. Just take the frameborder off and it will look pretty seemless. Most people don't like iframes, but they can be useful in some situations.
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Yeah, but if I use layers, then they don't position properly. I'll try the IFrame thing.
    Rednerve

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    This is not so much a direct answer as it is more of a quick tutorial on css positioning..

If you want any success using css in dreamweaver(specifically reguarding positioning) you HAVE to get out of design view and start crunching the code.. Unfortunatly dreamweaver has very very very poor support for css positioning, especially in design view.

First off positioning works fine if you know whats going on. For example.. If you look at your 'layer' in code view.. you will see it is only a <div> with a style attribute using css absolute positioning..
    HTML Code:
    <div id="Layer1" style="position:absolute; left:10px; top:5px; width:129px; height:111px; z-index:1;">Layer</div>
    What that is doing is this.. your 'layer' checks for a parent or container that it can use to position itself according to. It is checking if it is inside an element that already has been positioned. If it is not enclosed in a positioned element it will default to the browser window as its container. So what this means is elements that are positioned absolute cannot stand on their own since they rely on a container, they need to reside inside of another positioned element to work properly. On the other hand relativly positioned elements can stand on their own since they position themselves according to their orgional position.

This means you have to give it a proper container. Lets say you have your 'layer', and you want it to appear 10 pixles from the top and 5 pixles to the left of a table cell. By default your 'layer' will not recognize the <td> as a container. You have to position it with css in order for it to work. Go into your code, find your <td> and put this inside of it:
    HTML Code:
    <td style="position:relative;">
    This will allow your 'layer' to see that <td> a recognized container, and it will position itself accordingly. I attatched two examples that will help illustrate this. You will notice the only difference is in one the 'target <td>' has been positioned and the other it has not. Of course you could use any element as the 'layer's' container as long as the 'layer' is inside of it and it is positioned.

CSS positioning is one of the most difficult concepts to grasp, especially if you are used to layouts based on a grid-like structuer like tables.

Member #
    Thanks gylakk! Everytime I'm in trouble with CSS, you normally come up with an answer *sniffs all sentimental like and crys uncontrolably*. Thanks!
    Rednerve

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    no problem..

Member #
    I was having the same problems with the layer positioning and I followed your advice. I have
    been able to get the position right , but now I am told that when the web site is viewed in
    IE the layer is not showing properly and covering some of the content of the site. I can't see
    the problem since when I view it, it looks fine in both Netscape and IE on my Mac... could
    this be a pc problem?

http://www.koscup.gr

Member #
    Iframes... tables cant scroll

Remove Ads