Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    When I create sites using css positioning, the content appears in an un-desirable order when viewing on old browsers, pda's etc. For example, in a 2 column layout, I may want the main content to appear before the left colum links, adverts etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites and or reources that will help.

Thanks

Member #
    http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/
    That should make make it so CSS works the same on all browsers. Or something like that.
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    When you say older browsers, pda's etc.. are you refering to UserAgents that ignore css all together and simply display the markup as its written in your html document? If that is the case no amount of css will help you since it is ignored anyway, you have to restructuer your markup, witch is not difficult at all. If you are refering to UserAgents(browsers) that recognize css but impliment it incorrectly, than things can get a bit more complex as you have to involve work-arounds that won't also break your site for another UserAgent..

FYI: A UserAgent is any application, program, or what not that can access and process your website for presentation in some fashion. A browser is the most obvious example, but a UA can also be a screen reader, pda/cellphone, another site, etc..

Member #
    Well, what's the percentage of people who use them? I don't see the logic in changing your html to suit a real small percentage.
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    It would depend on the target audience.. I have been desiging more pages recently ment for both pc and handheld access. In that case it is very important that your markup be able to stand on its own without css. But if this is something like a gaming site(since gamers tend to have higher-end systems, and therefor modern browsers) I would not worry about handheld access as much, unless that was a target for the client.

Member #
    An example of what I'm trying to acheive would be:

A two-column layout with a header and footer in which the content needs to come before the sidebar in the source code yet appear in the right hand column (after the links in the left hand column) with css positioning.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    This is a very very very basic shell for a site. But it might give you some insite into how you could achieve what you want to do..

CSS:
    HTML Code:
    #wrap {
      width: 750px;
    }
    #header {
      height: 50px;
    }
    #left {
      float: left;
      width: 450px;
    }