Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Most people would think that i have relative experience when it comes to subjects like Web Development. I know a fair amount of CSS and HTML, and now i'm learning XHTML and W3C standards in my work. Also recently i've gained a NCFE Certificate in Advanced Web Page Creation. I feel that i know a reasonable amount to be able to attempt Freelance Web Development and to put my skills into good use. I only have one problem when it comes to actually creating my pages, and thats starting it. I've only ever been able to create a web page when someone has started it for me. I find it almost impossible to create a reasonably web page from a blank page in Notepad (or any other WYSIWYG editor). This is by far the biggest hinderance to being a Web Developer, and i just can't get around it. Does anyone have any ideas or any guides on starting a web page? Pretty soon i'm going to work on a Portfolio for Websites and Digital Images i have created which consists of XHTML and CSS (no tables), but i'm dredding the preparation and beginning of the creation of this.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    When someone asks about a webpage, I suggest they surf around on the internet and write down which sites they like, especially the layout.

What I do is keep a series of CSS "templates" I've created that contain the basic layouts of a webpage. Two column, Three column, and all of the various <div> layouts, headers, etc. Now, when someone wants a webpage, I find out what basic layout they want (not the "look", but just the layout) and start from there. Once I know how they want to have their page layed-out, I can go to the "look" ... color schemes, font types ... formal, informal, etc.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim
    When someone asks about a webpage, I suggest they surf around on the internet and write down which sites they like, especially the layout.

What I do is keep a series of CSS "templates" I've created that contain the basic layouts of a webpage. Two column, Three column, and all of the various <div> layouts, headers, etc. Now, when someone wants a webpage, I find out what basic layout they want (not the "look", but just the layout) and start from there. Once I know how they want to have their page layed-out, I can go to the "look" ... color schemes, font types ... formal, informal, etc.
    You mean other Web Developers do the same? Damn, i thought i was doing something wrong, cause as part of my class we made a simple layout, so i usually use that as a base. Ah well, i'm glad to know that my stupidity isn't going to be much of a downfall, although i'd still rather learn a few basic tutorials on how to start a web page. Tables or no tables, i just need to get in the rhythmn of it, and learn what i need to be doing.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    like mlseim said, i usually ask my client to go around the net (if they have time) and send me url's of sites they like. i also go around and search for site with the same content as my clients. for example, i you do a site for a coffe shop, search for coffee shop on google and see what other site look like.

another good way is to go on site like cssvault.com and cssbeauty.com and look for some inspiration. and there's always template site you can grab ideas from.

i always have a hard time starting a site too... i usually start over 10 times :dead:
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    "i always have a hard time starting a site too... i usually start over 10 times"

Yer, and then they like the idea that took you 5 mins because you thought all your other ideas were a bit simalar.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I draw the site on a blank white piece of paper to get an idea of the design I want to aim for. I haven't created a very complex design yet, but I'll probably make an experimental site in the near future.
    Cheers, zionlocke :chinese:
    Links: Zion Creation | Blog

Remove Ads