Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    First off, I've been lurking for a while and this place is great!

I've got a general question and I'll use my specific situation to illustrate it. I still consider myself a beginner in the CSS/XHTML world but I've already run across the problem of IE resizing containers to accommodate the size of their contents.

My example: I've got a div that includes buttons created from a list and some CSS. I want the right-borders on the buttons to overlap the right border of the div (in IE, everywhere else it's fine). I have enlarged the buttons' width to display the problem clearly in a screenshot from IE...

IE screenshot

The red line is actually the right-border of the container div (white, on left). As you can see, the contents are stretching the div and pushing out the border in IE, while in Netscape/Mo they are allowed to overlap...

http://www.gaucholocos.com/test/Netscape.gif

I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about. My question is...

Is there a hack in existence to override the "stretching" behavior in IE?

BTW, to get around this I'm currently implementing the semi-satisfying solution of "overflow: hidden" on the container div, which allows the right-border of the div and the right-border of the buttons to line up perfectly. The problem is that border rollover effects obviously don't work on the right-border of the button. Hence, this is semi (mostly not)-satisfying.

Remove Ads