Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello -

I have a website that I'm trying to update to make it standsrds compliant. I have been using StyleMaster to do a bulk of the CSS coding and while it will allow me to preview my work in IE and Firefox, when I upload my code to my site, it will appear fine in IE but Firefox doesn't use the linked stylesheet.

http://www.sjf.com/working/css/carousel.html

Does anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks.
    -Kent

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I am willing to bet it is because you are using anabsolute uri. But this is odd as I would not have thought that would cause problems. Try just reffering to it relative to the document. In other words since the css file is in the same directory as the html document use this:
    HTML Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="bluerobot.css" />

Member #
    NOPE - I have tried it both ways and neither works.

The only thing I can even think of that might be doing it would be if my server's mime types were not right somehow. Any other suggestions?

-Kent

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    That's not it either because I took your source and put it on my server and it does the same thing. But if I also put the css and call to it relative the document, it works.. I will take a closer look at the source..

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Nevermind, I am in agreeance with you, I did some searching on the problem and have found this is a 'relativly' common problem with some servers. Your markup and css looks perfect.. You might want to let your host know about this.

Note: this is not a problem with firefox, it is a problem with a mis configured server with incorrectly defined MIME types. Gecko based browsers like firefox, mozilla, netscape, etc.. just happen to pick it up where IE does not.

One thing you might try: Throw mozilla into querks mode by not specifing a doctype at the top of the document. I have read that might help 'fix' the problem. Although this might end up causing other problems.

Member #
    what did you find out was the problem with the servers because I was just in contact with our sysadmin and he couldn't find ANYTHING at all.

Member #
    nevermind...it worked, but I have a new question, then...why do my little thumbnail images and the borders around them display so strangely in Firefox, but not IE?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    From what I gather..

The wrong MIME type assigned with *.css. It should be "text/css". I belive it defaults to text/html or text/txt..

Remove Ads