Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Dont know if this is the place to ask this but I am at my wit's end..

I have a couple of pages on my site which are in foreign languages - Spanish, Itallian, German and Norwegian. Trouble is, the accents and umauts and whatever were coming up as boxes or question marks or Chinese characters or whatever. I've tried various character encodings and now the page is displaying as if it's all Chinese!! The page looks fine in my browser and the text is fine too, although when you view source, it doesn't display correctly.

How should I be encoding these pages? At the present I've saved them as Unicode because ANSII and UTF-8 didn't work either. And what should go in the header of the document?

Here's some examples

http://www.hansmatheson.org/nero/implarazon.html

and just doing it with ANSI as if it is in English - at least I get a page you can sort of read but I'd like it to display properly, like the original does on my computer

http://www.hansmatheson.org/nero/impdwworld.html

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Code:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">
    Doesn't work? It should. UTF-8 is what you're looking for. I think you might be using it wrong or something...
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    If you're using a DBCS (double-byte character system), you have to specify the proper encoding to display the characters properly. UTF-8 won't work for any DBCS character set because UTF-8 has disparate encoding. It's like this. You've got your older DBCS systems, which created one encoding per character set (chinese, japanese, cyrillic, latin-1, latin-2, etc.). Then unicode came along and said "hey, with 65,000 characters in a set, we can put ALL known characters into one double-byte system!" However, there's overlap. One character in chinese Big5 might be a completely different character in UTF-8. Basically, you have to know how your input data is encoded so you can display it properly on output. If it was created in a microsoft office application, it's unicode. In most java-based apps, unicode. It's highly possible that you are dealing with an older encoding, though.

Member #
    Maybe I should learn to spell English correctly :classic:

I seem to have fixed things using the UTF-8 though the first time I tried, it only worked on PC running IE and not on Mozilla or on the Mac. On the Mac there is a ? on the top left corner of the page but since most of my visitors are PC users, I'm not stressing on that.

Unicode was what I tried next which didn't work at all. The originals are mostly copy/pasted from online articles or press releases ( I know, copyright but I have acknowledged sources )

Thanks for all your help

Remove Ads