Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, the website I am designing is going to use a lot of transparent PNGs. I know that they don't work in IE, but do they work in Firefox?

Example: I have and image, a circle with a transparent whole in the middle. This image is in layer 1, which floats infront of layer 2. In layer two I have a photo. Now, I should be able to see the photo through the transparent whole in the circle.
    -GeZe

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    yes..

Member #
    They will show up in Firefox correctly, but is it wise to include so many when IE renders them so incorrectly?
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    ahh, my school will change browsers.

How about opacity?
    -GeZe

Member #
    Firefox opacity is rather buggy.
    spiral.alchemy
    graphic and web design portfolio

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    In what sense do you mean that firefox opacity is buggy? I have never experianced any adverse effects of png opacity with firefox. Or are you refering to the '-moz-opacity' rule witch I do agree could use a bit of work, but still rather solid.

Member #
    if you save-for-web in adobve photoshop(if you have it) then the transparency works for IE too.

there's nothing wrong with FF transparency for PNGs, only if the image has a shadow, then that may cause problems for intoducting transparency.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    IE does not discriminate between png's created in photoshop or any other software.. This is an inherient flaw/oversight in IE in witch IE does not support alpha transparency(png24 - 256 levels of transparancy). It only supports binary transparancy(png8 - it is either on or off) wich is exactly the same transparancy a gif produces.

You might be refering to png8 format working in IE(witch it does since it is binary transparancy) but in that case why not just use a gif since it is smaller?

Note: firefox does fully support shadow-like effects (aka alpha transparancy), and you can even get IE to do it as well. Look at my(possiable soon defunct) site www.digiffect.com and you will see a few images are in png24(alpha transparancy) format and they work in BOTH firefox and IE.. thats some trickery there!!

Remove Ads