Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I am stuck. I'm trying to position my background with CSS. I have used the code:

Code:
    style="background-repeat:repeat-x;border-right:1px solid #FFFFFF;background-position: x-0px y-2px"
    But it just stays in the same place - how come? Anyone got any ideas as to how I can position it right? I want to be 0px from the left, and 2px up from the bottom...
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I think you need to lose the "x-" and "y-" stuff. Try that

Member #
    Apparently (according to W3Schools) you can do that - how else will I get it 2px up from the bottom?
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    You shouldn't need them, CSS passes shorthand in a certain order anyway. Try background-position-x:value;

Member #
    post your fiels or at least a link so we can see it. instead of "0px 0px" use "bottom left" but that of course puts it at the bottom so maybe there's another way to achieve what you want. using 0px-2 means you're displaying 2 pixels above the TOP of the browser! you may have to settle for a % or some such but i can't tell unless i see your shtuff so i can see what effect you're trying to achieve.

Member #
    try naming the background in the css instead of HTML (I'm assuming you did a <BODY background="something.jpg">)

Try this:

body {
    margin-left: 0px;
    margin-top: 0px;
    margin-right: 0px;
    margin-bottom: 2px;
    background-repeat: repeat-x;
    background-color: #FFFFFF;
    Aaron Elliott
    www.forwardtrends.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    There is not exactly a way to do this. At least not though CSS only.

My solution(provided you are using a gif) involves you altering your background image by making it 2(transparent) pixles taller on the bottom then using this instead of your code above.
    HTML Code:
    style="background: url(image.gif) repeat-x 0px 100%; border-right:1px solid #FFFFFF;"
    However this will not work if you need a jpg for your background image. In that case I suggest making the bottom two pixles the same color as your background or using a png24 and incorporating the IE workaround to get it to work properly in IE.

Note: FYI Will, you left out the last semi-colon in your code snippet above.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by glyakk
    Note: FYI Will, you left out the last semi-colon in your code snippet above.
    Actually, I always let the last semicolon out, to save a few bytes in the CSS. I also create a "difficult to read" version of the CSS file once I'm happy with it, by removing all the spaces and line breaks, to make it lighter

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Under most circumstances, leaving the last semi colon out will not affect your site. However there is the off chance that it might and I cannot justify taking that chance when the actual file space being taken up is so minimal and it technically is supposed to be there.

My CSS is NEVER to my liking it is always evolving, so removing spaces and line breaks would do nothing but create a living hell for me when I need to make changes. But that is a good tip if you are not an obsessive compulsive like me.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    O.C.? YOU? Naaaahhhhhh... Not the guy who has a green para-military fuzzy wuzzy as his avatar...
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads