Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hello!

I'm working on a page (don't bother clicking the links, they don't go anywhere) right now, and I'm wanting to make sure it's valid Xhtml 1.0 Strict, but the validator tells me it's not. Do I not need the <html> or the <head> tags in xhtml??? The validator keeps telling me those are invalid...is there a good site I can go to that's less than totally boring that'll give me info on that kind of thing? I really wanna be up to standards, but it's not working right for me. And it doesn't display right in Mozilla either (well, that's debatable...it probably DOES display right in Mozilla, just not in IE's proprietary way of doing it, but since everybody uses IE, it's considered right....). Anybody got any ideas on that one???

Thanks!

Member #
    DUH! In case you want the link to check the code out....go here: http://www.scottcleans.com/chris

JR
    Member #
    i think you need <html></html> tags placed straight before and after the <head></body> tags. Not 100% certain on this one though.
    JR

Member #
    Hmmm....nope, didn't work....It gives me the following error:

Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML parser.

Line 3, column 0: character "<" invalid
    <html><head>
    ^
    Line 3, column 0: cannot continue because of previous errors
    <html><head>
    ^

JR
    Member #
    by the way i am using netscape 7 and it does not display the same as in IE, but it still looks cool. i will give you a print screen (ignore the dodgy colours)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JR

Member #
    Thanks! I was wanting it to display just like it does in IE, a simple box with drop shadow effects...I wish the stupid browser companies would just get together and apply the standards in the same ways! Yeesh! It's irritating!

Member #
    Okay, I took out the <html> tags all together, and now it says that it's having a problem with <head>...It always stops at the '<' symbol, as if it doesn't like that symbol or something. Does Xhtml use a different symbol for opening and closing tags that I don't know about???

JR
    Member #
    im not sure what this is it looks ok, just look around the net for examples of xhtml see if they are doing anything differently.
    JR

Member #
    I went to the following page:

http://www.nypl.org/styleguide/xhtml/guidelines.html

and looked at their source code, but it's the same as mine as far as most of it goes. The only difference I see is that they close their doctype with a '>' but when I do that on my page, it really throws the validator off. I validated their page, and it's correct....weird...I'll keep looking...

JR
    Member #
    maybe the validator is just messed up thinks that < is text and it wants you to put in the character code. Just a guess.
    JR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads