Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi guys. It's my first time here and I'm so glad I found a site like this. I've been designing websites for personal enjoyment for a couple of years and only really recently discovered CSS and thus, professional looking sites! Haha.

Well, I'm a bit stuck now. I want to make this relatively small, but complex personal project website to have a laugh with some of my friends at university with.

What it will be is a site where I "review" our nights out. Sounds silly I know! Before I continue, here's a menu I mocked up to give you an idea: http://www.lonegunman.co.uk/lloydmor...dent/menu.html

Now here's an idea of how I could do this. Bare with me, this could take a while.

So, to make updating a bit easier I thought making a page with a nice big form on would be good. Boxes on the form for 'Section' (Comedy/Music/Film), 'Date', pictures one and two, 'Title' and the actual review.

From this the form is parsed and the following is done:

Three folders already exist - Music, Film and Comedy.
    A new folder is created in whichever one of these is chosen named by the date (or just an increasing number) in which the two pictures shall be uploaded and a .html file created containing the data (review, etc).

Inside this .html file all the data will be set out according to the rules I decide on and then displayed according to rules I set out in a .css file for all the reviews.

That's it basically.

The other part I was thinking of working out now was the section for the latest three reviews. For this I was thinking of placing a text file on the server whihc can be written to by the server to ammend the data for the three most recently uploaded reviews. The menu will then be generated by reading this.

My questions...

Is this actually possible? It sounds almost impossible, and one hell of a challenge.

If so, can I get away with using just CSS and PHP? I can't stand CGI/Perl and don't fancy using it.

My final question. As you've already seen the menu, is there a way that this can be stored in a seperate file and then called by each page when it loads? Basically to keep it on every page on the site, exactly the same, without having to update them all every time I do something different, or without using frames?!

I'm sorry if I'm asking too much of you guys - like I said, I'm new here and I've always had a knack of talking too much and asking far too many questions.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    yes... all that can be achived with php. hope you don't plan to have that done in a day tho... it'll take a while to do. i'm sure there are some scripts already done for this kind of thing. i'm sure someone will chime in here and give you some links to those if they do exist.

but i suggest saving all your files as .php instead .html

as for you final question, as you'll be using .php, you can use includes

hope this helps a bit
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Well to anser all your questions quickly, yes you can do it souly with php and css and will not have to touch Perl. I am also assuming you have a database in your plans so you do not have to write static html files.

You would create the form that will send all review data to your database for storage. Then create your 'review page' that will call that data from the database for presentation. thisOf course you would attatch your css to file so can would only have to make changes to one file. Then you could use a simple include to attatch a seperate file that would be your 'menu' so you can update that one file and the changes will be propagated thoughout your whole site.

Karienne beat me to it..

Member #
    Wow!

People - I'm astonished at how fast you replied! Thanks a million! I'm so glad to hear that it's all possible the stuff I already know (albeit, not amazingly!).

Karinne - Luckily there's no deadline on this, so I can take a good few months to do this.

I did think I would need a database - but I can't afford a MySQL database on my host - an extra 50. I am a student afterall! The option I have for a database is by switching my hosting to MS Windows 2003 from Linux, enabling ASP and using ODBC with an Excel, Access, text or Visual FoxPro database. Is this going to be enough, or will I need to find a different host that can offer me a MySQL database?

Not too sure about this ODBC malarky. Thanks for being so helpful though. Makes a nice change!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    you should be able to find a host that doesn't charge extra for db's
    [a web design portfolio - Currently NOT AVAILABLE for work | web design | Re-coding | PSD-to-HTML]
    I'm also on: virb - facebook - twitter - flickr - del.icio.us

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    50 pounds for mySQL??? Unless that's a huge server, that sounds WAY off. Is that per month or year?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Might just be an initial set up cost.. But that is too much in my opinion.. I do not know who your host is, but there are plenty of good quality hosts out there that dont try to bend you over like that..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ..and, besides, Micro$oft keep changing their offerings rather than enhancing them.

Go for php! Open source and evolving every day due to the members, not the corporates...

Sean

Remove Ads