Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Where do i begin...well i'm fairly new to website development and i'm getting to the end of my tether as it were. So here it goes.

What i did was created slices in ImageReady and set the output code to create DIVs positioned with CSS.

First off here's what the site SHOULD look like -> Click <-

And here's what the site looks like when its been uploaded to the web -> Click <- (A funny thing is for me it works fine in IE (v6), for everyone i've asked its screwed up even tho they use v6)

1. Where have my divs gone to? Can anyone tell me why when i preview in both browsers before its uploaded it looks ok, but when its uploaded its screwed up SO much. And i'd love for someone to give me any tips on how to sort it out (However Drastic).

2. For one reason or another, the CSS for the links isn't working, neither the font or the colour -> My CSS <- Why is this?

3. Only a small thing that i'm not really concerned, more curious to know, but the dashed border in the middle is white in IE but Black like its supposed to be in NN and FF.

Thats about it for now, any help what-so-ever is appreciated. Thx

Member #
    this won't be entirely helpful, i suppose, but the hard truth is that professional web developers do not use ImageReady to create their HTML for the most part. These tools are cool and helpful in some cases but the can't yet create reliable HTML, as you can see. I have used IR to create HTML but I only do so in very limited situations, such as when a site is graphically-intense.

If you intend to be a web site developer you need to learn to code by hand. you look at the page and visualize how your TABLEs or DIVs will be laid out to achieve wehat you want and then you go from there.

Not everything is exactly "by hand" at least not for me, not in every instance. If I am using tables it is indeed easier for me to grab one from the DWeaver pallet and drop it on the screen then to type out all the TAGS for it. But generally speaking most code will have to "massaged" by hand.

go to www.w3.org and learn what you need to know about HTML and CSS. Practice building small things. Look at other people's source to see how they achieved effects. Try to create things yourself without looking at others' solutions.

it's a long process.

imageReady is handy for cutting all those graphics at once but the truth for me is that I rarely do that anymore save for graphically-intense mockups. the mockup u provided needs ONE image cut - ONE. The rest you can achieve with CSS just by visualizing where your DIVs will be and then making it in happen by typing the code in.

to start, determine if you want your DIVs fixed width or not. it looks like you first need 2 DIVs, one contains the fixed right column (i'm assuming it's fixed), and the other contains the header, nav and body.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Heres why its not working for anybody but you..

HTML Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="file:///C|/Documents and Settings/User1/My Documents/Practice/style2.css">
    Notice you have it pointing to somewhere on YOUR hard drive.

Member #
    Yeh timebandit you're totally right, its just that i thought it might be an easier way to do it and save coding by hand, and ultimatly i paid the price for my lazyness. I suppose i'm gonna have to get it done some day, designing sites by hand that is, so i best read up and get cracking.

So u just make one big div or table? and if its a div, how do you center it so its in the middle in 1024 and 800?

Glyakk - lol, i deserve a slap for that mistake, that could be the source of the problem with positioning then, if no one else can see the CSS !

Member #
    Well Glyakk that was the problem after all, funny how one little thing can cause such major problems. Well i'm on the right road now with this site, although i'm definatly gonna try doing it manually next time. Thx for the help

Remove Ads