Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am using a CSS to create some effects on my site at http://www.japaneserain.com, which appears fine in Netscape. In IE and Opera though, the backgrounds of the content and links divs are resetting at the top corner of each section. Can someone tell me what's wrong and how to fix it?

Also, how come the "top" button won't work in IE? it's a simple HTML link to #top, which is definitely at the top with <a name="top"></a>. This works fine in Netscape and Opera, but IE isn't liking it for some weird reason. I've checked that code and it's so simple that it's baffling me.
    http://www.pearlsgirl.com

Member #
    It's because the background-attachment property only works in IE on the body tag. The most famous example/explanation is Eric Meyer's complexspiral page.

It IS possible to still get that effect though.

You can apply a translucent png image as the background of the navigation and content divs, though for IE you'll need to use the alpha filter to make it work right. See this ALA article.

There's also a script that I hope catches on called IE7 that uses built-in IE scripting abilities to tell it how to render tags that it doesn't support. That's the simple explanation anyway. The author's got a working demo of complexspiral in IE using his script.

Remove Ads