Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    A friend of mine wants me to help her put together a site for handicapped people who share her disability. This is what she told me she is looking for:

"I would like people to be able to upload their own photos and profiles to the site. I would do a questionaire they could complete. What is the best way to accomplish this without it getting overly invloved?"

I was wondering if any WD Gurus here could give me some advice on how to go about this? I would appreciate any feedback you have.

Thank you.
    "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

Member #
    What net tech do you have available? Perl, php, mysql?

If you have php and mysql, there are a couple freeware gallery scripts. You might as well get a gallery and integrate it into a forum. The questionaire could be accomplished by required custom-fields in their forum profile. The forum would keep people coming back to the site.

Assuming you're doing this on the cheap, PHPBB and Simple Machines Forums are both freeware, and both have a "bridge" to integrate them with the Coppermine photo gallery script so that both scripts have the same login.

If you don't have php/mysql, but DO have perl, I'm sure you could achieve this with Coranto (coranto.gweilo.org) and some of its addons. I'd ask in their forum about the best way to achieve your aims if you go that route, as I'm sure they'd have a better overall plan than I would.

Member #
    Right now all she has is a free Geocities account. To get php or mySQL she would have to get a host who offered those. I don't think that should be too hard. A lot of hosting companies offer php and mySQL as part of the package.

I will pass your suggestions along to her and see what she says. Some very good ideas. Where would I find out more about the Coppermine photo gallery script? As for the forum, is phpBB a free service is do you have to pay for it?

Thanks for the input, Usurper.
    "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work." - Emile Zola (1840-1902)

Member #
    Coppermine is at coppermine.sourceforge.net
    PHPBB is at www.phpbb.com
    SMF is at http://www.simplemachines.org/

All of them are freeware; the first two are definitely open source, though I'm not sure about the latter. Good luck with the project.

Remove Ads