Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Okay I really need some clarification . I have been reading up on xml and rss news feeds, and have found that you can download a newsreader and "subscribe" to rss feeds by entering their url. This feeds the latest news from the rss file right to the application. My real question is, are these feeds also used on websites, so you can feed news from other sites right onto your own site?

I read that you copy and paste the code onto your page to do this, but then everytime the feed is updated you have to recopy the page. If you can run someone elses feed right onto your site, how is it done? Thanks!

Member #
    Yeah you can get the feeds live on your website. Although I have never done so, or needed to do so, I have seen it done a lot.
    I'm not sure exactly but I would google something like "Live RSS feeds" or something like that. It's quite a popular thing at the moment so I expect you will have hundreds of solutions chucked in front of you.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Think of the RSS feed as a datasource. You would then use that data to 'fill' your page however you wanted. You could do that a number of different ways such as parsing it though PHP or any other serverside scripting language where it will end up as regular HTML.

This topic is really extreamly broad and very fun to experiment with. In fact I highly reccomend anybody trying to learn PHP and or xml to play around with parsing RSS feeds.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Check out this contest, it does exactly what you're asking about
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Ok thanks guys . One other question. I am learning php, and wrote my own script where I login on the web, and post news (like cuteNEWS) and it stores it in a database. For the sake of having it more efficient, would it work if my RSS file was actually say "feed.php" and on that page I used php to get information on each news post from the news database, and then include all the proper <title><description><link> tags etc? And i would include the proper headers at the top and bottom of the page. This would be instead of posting the news, then manually updating the rss file. Just wondering if it would work with a .php extension, and if that whole process could work. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Yes, and Yes.

Also, to see one site display the news feed of another, check out www.bloglines.com or http://www.bloglines.com/public/Wired or http://www.bloglines.com/public/Wired

Found this site thanks to Brak. I use the blog space itself to put links into for myself to check out later (which I rarely do), and the newsfeeds to catch up on some sites (only 90 or so) while I'm at work. Yes, Brak's blog is one of them At tweaky.org you can see an always current listings of the RSS feeds I subscribe to, which is just an RSS feed from bloglines.com
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Ahh, thank-you, you just made my day haha. Oh, and Brak, are you also registered at the site www.clantemplates.com? I recognized bob.warpspire.com's site, and I am almost positive I saw it at clantemplates.

Member #

Remove Ads