Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Got a question here, folks... I'm a programmer by trade, so repeatable problems drive me friggin nuts, cause I know I could fix em with a few lines of good 'ole C++.

Are there any programs out there already that take a .css file, parse it, find, say, the elements with padding, and then automatically generate a alternate .css file with the Simplified Box Model Hack(SMBH) or whichever hack you like incorporated for you? I've jsut discovered the error in IE's thinking, and I'm fairly certain I could whip up a program to do this relatively quickly.

Would this be useful, or am I too new to CSS to see the pit falls this would have? Any information and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.

- Chris
    -----------------------------------------------
    I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and others around me... I'm more of a CSS kamikaze than a CSS ninja...

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The problem is that IE randomly applies it's box model in different ways each time. There's never a one-patch-fixes-all solution, it's an ever-changing, ever-moving giant. Plus it's not as simple as you'd think. Margins and padding work fishy around the top/bottoms of pages.. how will your program account for that? If IE had some kind of consistency with it's rendering, it would all be good.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    For near the top of pages, math. for near the bottom, A comparison of the total height of the elements in the CSS? This wouldn't account for the HTML though, so might not be a very good indicator.

I agree that it seems to be an ever changing beast, but it's a SLOW changing beast. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen, there's a fix for each version of IE, and I haven't seen a new fix needed since IE6 came out.

Again, I'm new to this, so take my words as you would any newbs... but I think it can be done.

At the very least, the padding issue could be auto-fixed. Easily.
    I know just enough to be dangerous to myself and others around me... I'm more of a CSS kamikaze than a CSS ninja...

Member #
    I've mentioned this a couple times before, so I hope you won't take this as spam. It's a really brilliant concept imo.

http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/

You include his script in your page when viewing with IE browsers, and it fixes a ton of IE rendering problems automatically, including the box model. I'd read the site over carefully. It works for IE 5 and up. It's the best automatic fix I've seen. No more hacks, just a javascript include.

(Also, if you hadn't noticed, IE6 fixed the box model problems, but only if you declare a doctype. Leaving out the doctype renders the page in "quirks mode." Suppose this is only relevant if you're coding for an intranet with up to date versions of IE...)

Member #
    Wicked... did you see the complex spiral demo on that site?? That is just CRAZY cool.

Ok, so looks like there's no need for my css program. thank god, I can go surfing this weekend rather than be obsessed with another project...

Member #
    Ok, so I installed the IE7 fix, and included the file as directed by the site. on my local machine, I get activeX protection errors, on my server I get nothing. Any ideas? Thanks.

See it here

Member #
    I had a similar problem before as well. I think it has to do with IE's security settings. Likely you've got different permissions for running scrips on "local intranet" than you do for "internet."

Member #
    Ok...

But that wouldn't explain the script not running at all, would it? I mean, I don't even get a warning about active-x crap.

*shrug* I guess I can handle using hacks for now... maybe I'll write that program anyways.

Member #
    Have I got this completely wrong, but isn't the IE6 hack IE7 a hack which is initiated from the server?

Then why should you install anything on your computer?

We have a course in webdesign in my school, where the teacher (not I) is teaching CSS in Internet Explorer!!! Can u imagine? And it's the worst CSS I've ever seen. He's actually teaching background images in divs which overflow in IE.

Am I the only one getting goose bumps? =)

I'm trying to make him teach properly but he doesn't like being corrected hehe, but I'll keep on nagging him.

The program you're talking about holokai might be a bit smart, but the hack is as I see it downloaded client-side from the server, by the browser and can be seamlessly integrated... right? So just download the script, and put it on the website u want to fix, and we should be alright?

Does anyone here know if that script fixes the :hover pseudo-class problem in IE? Like for example: td:hover.

//Henke

Member #
    Echo, I didn't install anything on my PC, I just tested the page which included the IE7 JS in it. it didn't work locally or on my server, so I've given up and resorted to the star html IE hack.

- Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads