Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    I created, or tried to create my own website. With little or no knowledge of the how's and where's.
    I do have meta tags, probably in the wrong places...?
    I have had it over 2 months and am not getting any customers to it, 8 total in 2 months.
    I used a couple of submit sites and they seemed to be a waste of my money ( Any help here?) because I cannot even find my own website on any of the top names ( How do I do that, see my ranking etc ??)
    My site is www.ohiopottery.net

Now I see meta tag's aren't being used much anymore.
    What is CSS? Where can I learn about it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
    Any Suggestions?

Thank you!

Member #
    mmmm, for starters, since you dont know much about web design and graphics, maybe what you sould do is use a website template for your site. You can find free templates all over the net. (Yes, I know some of the members here will be upset with me for suggesting you use a template, but you goto start somewhere if you dont know HTML and need your site up quickly).

CSS is short for cascading style sheets. You attach the styles to your page and they describe how your page looks and functions.

Here are two sites that can help you with CSS.

1. W3schools - great site for learning the basics of CSS. Here you can also learn about HTML.

2. CSS zenGarden - a site for inspiration on how CSS can be used.

Once you have a appealing site going then we can start with SEO. (Search Engine Optimization)

Member #
    It's up to you if you like to use templates. Myself, I will only use a template for the design if a) They explicitly asked me to or b) If they want the site up quickly, and I asked if a template would be ok and they agreed.

Why don't I use templates, I hear you ask? Well, if I use a template in a design, I feel cheated. I can look at the site and think it's good, but I still know I didn't make it.

So as you guessed, I don't like templates. That's my opinion on templates!
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    my site is up and is ohiopottery.net
    I used a website company who I registered it with for the design and found out later it was a mistake as they have 20 of them and no of them are any good.
    I have worked on my website all night ( 6 hours ) seraching for links, how to SEO the site etc.
    Dont look like I did much but see popups all over my computer.
    I am willing to read and learn and will do so with the above info.
    Please visit this site... Appears in your guys langauge as "busy" to me
    ????

Thank you sooo much!

Member #
    Yeah definetely get a hold of a template fast, until you learn enough to do it yourself. Even a Frontpage Theme would be better at this point. Please don't take it the wrong way. As far as the meta tags, No search engines really pick up on that anymore. They tend to look at what is between your <title> tags, but more importantly how many links to your website are around, the more people link to your website the more popular it must be so the more it will come in searches. Just a few thoughts.

Remove Ads