Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Help....

Member #
    I tried opening this:
    Code:
    <html>
     <head>
    <title>Title of page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    This is my first homepage. <b>This text is bold</b>
    </body>
    </html>
    And it says: Windows Explorer cannot open (insert file name here) as a Web Folder, would you like to see its default view instead?

I used to have Windows 2000, and it worked fine, but I recently downgraded to Windows 1998, this proably has nothing to do with my problem, but just thought Id mention it. Any help would be greatly appreciated :classic:

// added code tags

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Make sure the file has a .htm or .html extension and try opening it again in IE, Nutscrape, Mozilla, etc.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    It was a .htm file, but what do you mean by Mozilla? (sorry I am new to web programming)

Member #
    Mozilla is web browser.
    Depending on your Operating System, open the .html file in Windows Explorer
    assassingod - vB.org Moderator :ichatsmile:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Clarification: ffdcsite means double-click the file in Windows Explorer, not view the file in Windows Explorer
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Ok, the tags dont work, Im opening it, not viewing it, Ive double clicked on it and it just shows what I typed in:

Code:
    <html>
     <head>
    <title>Help!</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    This is my first homepage. <b>Hello, this doesnt work</b>
    </body>
    </html>
    See, when I try opening it, it says: " Cannot open file, would you like to view its default instead?" So I just see the code I entered, thats not doing anything..and a Mozilla browser..would that be for Linux? I dont know what Im talking about. Anyways, to recap so far: Source code was saved in Word Perfect under a .htm extension, tried opening it with Internet Explorer, and it said "Cannot open file, do you want to view its default instead?". And how would I open my HTML files in another Web browser if I use Internet Explorer?

Member #
    You can download Netscape or Mozilla, launch either program and go to File -->open page (or open file, something to that tune), and/or you can set one of these as your default web browser. Upon opening either of these browsers up, sometimes they will check to see if *they* are your default web browser, and if they are not, they will ask if you would like *this program* to be your default browser.

Also, try writing that code in notepad or something. Word perfect is not the best html editor. Sometimes word processing software adds junk to your file when you save it as a .htm

Remove Ads