Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    How would one do this, please? Changing background color is a friendly acquaintance for me, but I'm having more than a bit of trouble wrapping my head around this.

Help and examples are greatly appreciated and are definately good karma.

Member #
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function newColor(idCell) {
    if (document.all) eval('document.all.'+idCell+'.style.background = "#fff"');
    else eval('document.getElementById("' + idCell + '").style.background = "#fff"');
    }

function backColor(idCell) {
    if (document.all) eval('document.all.'+idCell+'.style.background = "#A3C7E8"');
    else eval('document.getElementById("' + idCell + '").style.background = "#000"');
    }
    </script>

<table id="t1">
    <tr>
    <td>
    <a href="#" onMouseOver="newColor('t1')"
     onMouseOut="backColor('t1')">Click here</a>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

Member #
    Sorry Victor, I was unclear. I had figured out how to change background color, more or less, but I couldn't figure out how to change a table background picture on rollover. At the bottom of the website is a crowd of people, and they change hue on rollover, ideally. Thank you for the script though, I appreciate the time. That's new code for me; I'd figured it out for css, not java.

If changing table background image is very difficult or not possible, info on how to make a button with a very custom and large area of change, but a small hit area (where the actual visible button is) would also be welcome.

Member #
    Code:
    <style>
    table:hover { background-image: url(image.jpg); }
    </style>
    Note that IE won't do anything because it will only recognize "hover" for links (<a> tags).

edit: I guess you could just tweak the JS above to be "style.background-image" and then make it equal "url(image.jpg)". But thats untested and could be completely wrong.

Member #
    OK, thanks, Fallout. Much obliged.

Member #
    Hmm...I tried putting that in an ifthen statement, and of course the comnputer just kind of looked at me strange and then wandered off and did its own thing. As a newbie to any programming aside Actionscript and HTML, I'll need an answer a little less concise, I'm afraid. Thanks, you guys, for your help, I'm just asking the question the wrong way.

Member #
    Put my code between your <head> tags... For the JS put it in the <head> as well, but only the parts that include <script> to </script>. Just copy the <a> tags provided and change them up to fit your site (in the <body> wherever they are needed)

Remove Ads