Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a background image on my web page that is perfectly fit for a high screen resolution. When a user looks at the page with a lower resolution, part of the background image is cut off. Is there a way to determine the user's screen resolution and then resize the background image accordingly or use a different image?

If you would like to see what I am talking about the web site is http://www.papa-rock.com :cross-eyed:
    Thanks

Member #
    You don't want to serve different background images to different resolutions. I suppose there are ways to snif out a resoluton and serve a different image but it's probably more complicated than you want to do... just have one image and fade the left and right side to white, make the background color white and center the image in the background, then it'll be in the middle of the page for every resolution and look more like a "universally sized" photo.

you're brushing up against the "design part of "web design" - you have to make web pages work in lots of situations because you can't control everything about the user who is viewing it.

btw, my Classic Rock band site is at smokehouseband.com - good to see other old farts playing rock!

Member #
    Thanks for suggestion

Thanks for the suggestion to fade the left and right to white. Do you have any ideas how to do that. I really think that would look cool.

Member #
    i know how to do it in Photoshop. Can you get me your original photo and I'll do it for you if you don't have a way.

Remove Ads