Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I'm confused.

When your doing web services does it happen behind the seens or do you have to go to the page that is providing the services.

Is it behind the seens:
    I want to get a stock quote. I request to see the page on my site that displays the quote. The site I'm at asks for the quote through a web servervice, gets the response, complies the page and I see the the quote onm the site I'm at.

Or is it the other way (youve seen it when you sign in to the .net passport and the screen flickers at it goes to one page to the other) I'd assume it was passed through post or something.

If you can understand what I'm saying, please respond.
    -GeZe

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The way Web Services usually work is this:

1. You request a page from the site you're viewing. Something like product.php?id=5

2. Their server interprets the ?id=5 as meaning something. It then requests an XML document from another server via something like http://www.remotehost.com/product.ph...affiliate=mark If you were to type this address into your browser, you would see an XML document. But to the server of the site you're viewing from, it's just like including an XML file locally. $source = "source.xml" or $source = "http://www.remotehost.com/product.php?id=5&affiliate=mark" to make a bit more sense maybe.

3. The server of the site you're viewing parses this XML file, and presents it in a reasonable manner.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    okay, thanks, my project is saved!

(do you know why the .net passport system flickers then? I thought it used SOAP)
    -GeZe

Remove Ads