Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: POST/GET HTTP

Member #
    I have a server - running Redhat Linux... with FrontPage Server Extensions.
    I do most of the work via FrontPage.

A request has come to mind for the following scenario, as sending files via email are simply too large.

Upload and download files via a web page securely as following:

'A' wants to transfer a file to 'B', but doesn't want 'C' to see the content. 'A' logs into the password secured area, browses for a file for transfer in Windows, enter email address for recipient (and possibly their own), 'B' receives an email that a new file has been posted, gets an ever-changing security code, and goes through the same login procedure, but will now have to specify the filename and the security code in order to receive the file.
    'C' knows nothing about this transaction.

I have seen a similar solution at http://www.uvm.edu/filetransfer but I cannot see how they've gotten it working

Any ideas on how to get this working? I have seen some sort of .dll file that might be required on the site in addition, but can't get those to work either :-(

Can you help me with a solution? :hurt:

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I suggest posting this on the PHP forum.

That's all I can say about it, though. Sorry.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    It definitely requires a server side language, such as PHP or ASP.

The uploading/downloading is simple enough, as is the general idea of generating a random key, which could be based upon the To, From, and file name along with a date/timestamp, hashed or MD5. I'd suggest the folder be a uniquely created entity as well, not sure what to base it upon though, perhaps another hash or whatever, as the date/timestamp will have changed. A link to a randomly generated page or something can be sent to the recipient, and after a set amount of time, or after one download, the upload and uniquely created stuff can be deleted automatically.

Alternatively, if you want the login stuff, then a person can log into a personal download area, and it will show them a list of files awaiting them. Since everything is randomly based, unless someone either has access to see all folders on the server, or knows the file name, they have no idea it's there. Once the file is downloaded, either the recipient and/or sender can mark it for deletion, or it can be automatically removed.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Hmm - I am not sure either of you replied with the answer I was looking for...

I am looking for the solution, the code, the functionality, not a how-to-setup of the hardware and software to run the site. The site is up and running, it is a standard html-site, built with FrontPage, and the server it is located on is a Linux-box, so ASP, SharePoint and alike are not available to me. I can upload a PHP-file (or files), but I can't work in PHP, as I know NOTHING about PHP.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I have seen a similar solution at http://www.uvm.edu/filetransfer but I cannot see how they've gotten it working, and I would like to have a similar option on this site I am working on.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you thought of contacting the University of Vermont to see if they'd be prepared to let you have their code?

The previous posters are correct -- you'd need to write something in php or another server side language to support this requirement, but it is unlikely anybody on here has such a script to hand (or set of scripts).

Alternatively pop down to http://www.hotscripts.com and see if there's anything there that does similar...

Sean

Member #
    Sean

I didn't mean to offend anyone - just stated that I am not certain that the answer I was looking for was not in the answers given.
    I have to admit though, that I thought such a solution would be common amongst "real" web masters for transfer of large files.

I sent UVM an email requesting the code a while back, but haven't heard a word back from them.

FrontPage now has a form-field that inserts the File Upload option, but I can't get it to work on my site either. I am still missing the part that would be to retrieve the file as well.
    So far, I have used the sub-web with unique permissions, this allows people into one folder with the rights. The problem is that "A" may get a file that is no concern to "B", and "B" can currently see the file "A" is getting in the way I have used it.
    Another issue is if I created sub-webs in the subweb for each user, then the person that is sending the first file would have to log in, locate the right folder, and log in again, upload it, then the person receiving it would have to log in and log in again to their respective folder to retrieve the file.

UVM has it setup so that the file is being uploaded to the sub-web, the recipient of the file receives an email on the subject (possibly with a link to the source), the file is stored in one folder with no viewing permissions. The recipient goes on the web page, enters the information in the email, then retrieves the file. In this matter, no one but the network administration will ever see which file goes to who.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N00B
    I didn't mean to offend anyone - just stated that I am not certain that the answer I was looking for was not in the answers given.
    I have to admit though, that I thought such a solution would be common amongst "real" web masters for transfer of large files.
    No offense taken by anyone I think. Your 2nd statement is a bit odd. Swapping files securely isn't exactly a common thing to see, let a lone a host willing to support something like this that has the possibility to be abused.

I'd have to guess seeing that it's UNIX based that it may be running on some uniquely designed PERL code.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Remove Ads