Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,

Go to http://xtdesign.net and note that once you've visited any link in the navbar, it doesn't hover as before. I don't know why this happens because in the CSS you can see that I've specified the :visited:hover pseudo-class to have the same look as the not visited one.

And does somebody have any idea on how to change the CSS to make the links look in IE as they look in good browsers?

Thanks

Member #
    What was your CSS code? And I'm pretty sure their's no such thing as visited:hover
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    It's here: http://xtdesign.net/css/style.css
    Here is the fragment that contains the navbar elements:
    Code:
    #nav li {
    list-style-type: none;
    position:relative;
    left:-36px;
    margin-bottom:16px;
    width:124px
    }
    #nav a.navlinks, #nav a.navlinks:visited {
    list-style-type: none;
    border:1px solid #000000;
    border-width:1px 2px 1px 4px;
    padding:5px 8px;
    width:124px;
    text-decoration:none;
    color:#FFFFFF;
    margin-top:10px;
    height:25px
    }
    #nav a.navlinks:hover,#nav a.navlinks:hover:visited{
    border-color:#000000 #000000 #FFFFFF #FFFFFF
    }

Member #
    Try to add a semi-colon on the hover line.. Also.. You can't add a list-style-type to a link element.. And you can have 1 psuedo-class per element.. You also didn't put a semi-colon after width: 124px.. You have to put a semi-colon after the last statement always.. Some may still read it but it will mess other browsers up..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Physt
    Try to add a semi-colon on the hover line.. Also.. You can't add a list-style-type to a link element.. And you can have 1 psuedo-class per element.. You also didn't put a semi-colon after width: 124px.. You have to put a semi-colon after the last statement always.. Some may still read it but it will mess other browsers up..
    The list-style-type goes on the <li> not on the <a>.
    No, don't worry about the semi-colon, if it's the last propertie of the block, you can omit it. I do that to safe a few bytes.
    And AFAIK you can use several pseudo-classes, in the same way you can do "a:visited:active" to set up how the link will look once it's visited and is active.
    I'm sure it has to do with some stupid IE quirk.

PS- I've added that semi-colons so you can see it doesn't affect anything

Member #
    The last semi-color and the double pseudo element both don't work in IE.. IE is 85% of all users so It's probbably best to find the best marriage you can with all browers.. There are a lot of other things that don't work in IE so you should get used to not being able to do them...

Member #
    The last semi-colon doesn't work? They are now there, but there is no change.

It should work in some way, because this is happening the first time to that I can set a visited:hover status in IE, my previous design of the site worked with that even in IE5/Win2000.
    Any clue?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Code:
    a.navlinks:hover:visited
    Pretty sure that's not allowed. Almost certain. What yo'ure telling it is "find the <a> with a class navlinks, that is in a hover state and visited state (at once)"
    Split those up
    Code:
    a.navlinks:hover, a.navlinks:visited
    Also, try list-style:none; No need for list-style-type, it's less compatable.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    I wasn't sure that the double pseudo-classes thing would work, but I had to try it because instead of just doing the normal hover, if it's visited it doesn't change to the hover status. Here how it looks now, and it does exactly the same as before:
    Code:
    #nav a.navlinks, #nav a.navlinks:visited {
    	list-style:none;
    	border:1px solid #000000;
    	border-width:1px 2px 1px 4px;
    	padding:5px 8px;
    	width:124px;
    	text-decoration:none;
    	color:#FFFFFF;
    	margin-top:10px;
    	height:25px;
    }
    #nav a.navlinks:hover{
    	border-color:#000000 #000000 #FFFFFF #FFFFFF;
    }

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I actually had to play around with this for a while and came to the concclusion that I don't know what's going on. For example, if you put in "color:red" into the :hover statement it works. Weird. Everything except border declarations. I'm not quite sure what's oging on to be honest... although, just FYI you're delcaring no list-style on an <a> No need for that. I'll keep trying, but so far no success.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads