Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been reading Zeldman's 'Designing web standards', where he gives a great description of how to fix cross browser layout issues by using the 'box model hack'.

I think I need to use this in my site, but I am using percentages to define a liquid layout. How do I use the principles he descibes and apply them to my % based site?

Thanks,
    Mark

Member #
    Is it really needed to apply the box model hack, which fixes width problems in IE 5.x, to a site with a liquid layout?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The box model does one thing.. it allows you to target certin browsers (specifically older versions of IE) and give them a different set of rules than the other browsers. It does this by takeing advantage of IE's flaws or traits..

In the case of the box model hack the reason it works is because you cause IE to stumble and stop reading the remainder of a perticular rule where other browsers will continute to read that rule and apply the correct value that is presented later down the line.

But maybe that does not really answer your question. What it sounds like you want is the ability to fine tune your values. Such as make something 100% wide minus ten pixles, and you want it to apply only to IE and not other browsers.. right? If so read this great article on Alistapart.com.
    Creating Liquid Layouts with Negative Margins
    You would take this technique and apply it to the box model hack by applying all values you want to apply in IE befor the "voice-family" property, and then resetting the value(s) after it.

Hope this makes sense..

BTW: Alistapart.com is produced by happycog studios wich is lead by Zeldman.

Member #
    Many thanks for the replies

Remove Ads