Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Help me brainstorm ways to do this AND have it work in IE. I'm going to be trying various things, but I don't think it's possible. I wanted to get some other opinions, though.

JR
    Member #
    What are you trying to do it with?
    JR

Member #
    You could abuse an anchor tag by using it for something other than a link or a link destination maybe. I don't much care for the idea myself.

You could also try out IE7. While it currently uses a javascript implementation, it was originally possible to make it work by linking a file as a css file. So one of the old versions might fit the bill, assuming IE's dhtml behaviors support isn't shut off when javascript is disabled (I've never tested). I can't find the old versions on sourceforge, but I may have missed them on the site somewhere.

Member #
    I wanted to try and do it without anything other than CSS and a few DOM tricks...but it isn't looking possible if I want it to work in IE. IE7 would probably work, though. I really don't have to worry about JS that much, it's just that I have these things called 'standards' that prevent me from using it without wincing first.

Member #
    Although I'm frequently hit with rotting fruit, I'm a proponent of doing everything you can to get the job done with the tools you're allowed. We used tables way back to position stuff because other HTML elements didn't allow us to position things. It was naughty, but it got the job done. Now, with CSS we're beginning to do away with the table thing.

To your point - abuse the A tag if you can. If it works, use it until CSS catches up with what WE want HTML to be. Block the A tag, set a width and absolutely position/float it. Abuse it.

Remove Ads