Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm just learning to use includes (simple virtual includes for now .. don't get fancy). Everything works fine when all the shtml files and the include files are in one directory .. but when I start adding complexity to the file structure (adding folders) nothing works anymore. Do the includes have to be in every folder? I know that doesn't make sense .. but after trying numerous variations, I can sometimes get the includes to be processed, but can't get the include that provides the navigation to find the other files. I don't suppose there's a simple answer ..

Appreciate any assistance .. or pointing me to resources that might give me some guidance.

Jayell

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    if you use <!-- Include File="" --> your includes are relative to the path of the including file. if you use <!-- Include Virtual="" --> the includes are relative to the root.

So say you have a folder called /includes with an inc called includeMe.inc and your files are in the root. You can do this:

<!-- Include File="includes/includeMe.inc" -->

or

<!-- Include Virtual="includes/includeMe.inc" -->

Case 2: your files are in a folder called /files and your includes are in a folder called includes, now your includes will look like this:

<!-- Include File="../includes/includeMe.inc" -->

or

<!-- Include Virtual="includes/includeMe.inc" -->

Hope this makes sense.

Member #
    Yes, it does make sense. Thanks for the input, Steve. Figured out I had everything coded correctly. Just forgot that I was using a sub-directory on my test server to test in .. which screwed up the 'root relative' paths :-)

Jayell

Remove Ads