Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've got a site where I want some pages to be accessible to the general public, and some to be password protected. Right now I accomplish this by using an htpasswd file, which requests that users log in when they try to access any password protected page for the first time. It works, but I'm sure there is a better way. The problem I run into is when an authenticated user has entered his password, and then wants to look at the public pages again. Because the public pages all have links back to the public index page, even an authenticated user is sent back here rather than to the password protected index page. Is there a way in the html to detect if the user is logged in and send him to the correct index page? Or is there another, better way to go about this?

Member #
    What language have you designed this site in? php, asp??

Member #
    It's just straight HTML, with CSS, and a little bit of Javascript.

Member #
    If your stuck use brave net password protector it will help

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Looks like that may be php based though.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    I'm looking for a fairly simple solution, not a drastic change. What I've got now works, but could be improved. I'm thinking there must be some system variable, or something that could be set (or is set by the OS) when a user is authenticated, then an if/then type statement could be coded into the page, i.e. if authenticated, load this page, else load this page. Any ideas?

Remove Ads