Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I hope this information will help some of you prevent what I consider a major website faux pas.

When viewing websites, I hate nothing more than seeing a horizontal scroll bar across the bottom forcing me to constantly pan side-to-side to read the content. When designing sites, I always design with 800x600 in mind to make sure that that resolution doesn't have any horizontal scroll bars.

I thought I had been pretty successful in my attempts to prevent scrollbar hell until I was at a friend's house and he called up one of my sites on his 800x600 using Opera. There sat a horizontal scrollbar, nothing major, only about 4 pixels too far but it did make a couple of words push off the screen out of view. I went home to determine exactly what was the breaking point before a scrollbar would appear.

I viewed some access logs and my sites get hit most by IE, then Opera, then FireFox. I set my resolution to 800x600 and started IE6, Opera7 and FireFox1. I loaded an HTML file that had a spacer image stretched across the top.

In your style sheet, if you don't specify any margins or padding in the body tag, the maximum pixel width before scrollbars appear is 759.

If you specify left and right padding as 0 and you don't specify any margins, the maximum is also 759.

If you specify left and right margins as 0 and you don't specify and padding, the maximum is 773.

If you set both margins and padding to 0, the maximum is 779.

Add one pixel to any of the above numbers and a scrollbar will appear in one of the three browsers. Keep in mind that if you're using tables, the border, cellspacing and cellpadding attributes all contribute to the overall width of your page.

To recap:
    Code:
    Margins  Padding  Maximum Width  Satisfies
    =======  =======  =============  =========
    0        0             779         IE
    0        default       773         Opera
    default  0             759         IE
    default  default       759         IE
    The satisfies column tells you which browser is the LAST one to have it's horizontal scrollbar disappear. So as you can see, the world's most popular browser is the first one to show a scrollbar in three of the four situations. Please spay and neuter your horizontal scroll bars.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Unfortuantely, that is not for Windows XP. Windows XP adds even more space to the browser window. I usually keep my sites to 770 or less to accomidate for this. I believe XP adds 5px. In the end of of the day, a scrollbar for a minority resolution isn't that big of a deal now. 800x600 is slowly loosing popularity, and those still using it wont' even notice the horizontal scrollbar.

Keeping content above the fold, however, is a good thing to keep in mind.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Remove Ads