Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    EdL
    Member #
    Hi, my site displays wrong in IE!

my site

Do anyone of you know why?

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    This is something that's argued, mentioned and debated in every corner of the web - a quick Google search will bring up lots of stuff.

Basically all the browsers have different ways of rendering pages, something which drives designers mad. Most bahave much like each other but IE is the worst offender and doesn't follow standards - hacks are often used to bring it into line.

Take a look at http://www.456bereastreet.com/ for some good information about web standards and cross browser compatibitity.

Member #
    IE isn't the worst.. It's just the biggest target heh..
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.
    www.blog.chaosconcepts.net - My Blog

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Which would you consider the worst?

Member #
    Older ones.. Opera is pretty bad in that it can cause stupid problems that ONLY occur in opera.. Which can be a pain.. IE has pretty good compliance with all CSS 1.0.. Some things are set a little different but aren't a pain to fix.. If IE was as small as Mozilla in user amount would you consider it the worst?
    www.controlalternate.com - Web resources and free templates. www.chaosconcepts.net - Custom web and graphic design.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I was thinking mainly of CSS support. I'm usually the one defending MS when it's getting attacked. I think IE isn't necessarily bad, just old. When the next version ships with Longhorn things might get very interesting.

EdL
    Member #
    More troubles with IE

Take a look at my borders on my page in mozilla firefox and than in IE. Se any diffrence? :angry:

Do any of you guys know how I can fix this little problem?
    And one more thing, I would like to vertical-align the text in my main menu. Howto?

Argh... And why the **** doesnt IE suport png :angry:

Member #
    Well.. I don't see any big difference with the borders.. Your problem is probably with the Box Model.. There are a LOT of hacks for different browsers, and the Box Model Hack is 1 of the most popular..

http://www.positioniseverything.net/...box-model.html

As far as I know, the only way to vertically align text is to set the padding appropriately.. Not all browsers deal with this the same either so it takes some adjusting.. Just search the net for CSS hacks..

PNG is a relatively new file-type.. The next version of IE(with longhorn) will probably have full support for them..

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You don't want to get in to it with me. I get kinda emotional about this topic :'-(

http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/

I give out that link way to much on this site. You'd think I was a representative or something...
    Brian : This must be the physics department.
    Chris : That explains all the gravity.

Member #
    Does that actually work? I've never actually used it.. Always just go for the hacks instead..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads