Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Wondering if anyone can help me out; basically I'm "hosting" a simple little web site on my home PC - this will not be switched on 24/7/52 so is there a way I can set up a redirect on a "permanently" hosted page which will redirect to my home server (I'm OK with that one), but if the server is unavailable automatically redirect to a page which says something like "email us direct the server is off" etc.

I know I can set up custom error pages through IIS 6, but as this requires my server being up and running it kinda makes the point useless!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Member #
    My only idea would be to have your domain permanently point to your other hosted page (the "email me" one) which would then somehow check to see if your home server is up (maybe php can try to establish a port connection of some type) then if that works, it would redirect to your server, if not, then it shows the "email me" message. </run-on>

Member #
    You could even try and do this with JavaScript: request an image from the "home server" and see whether it times out. If this happens, then redirect the user or do whatever is appropriate. Could be slightly unreliable though, since this would use the user's connection instead of the permanent server's connection.

Remove Ads