Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Please could someone help me. I want to be able to include one page within another, but so that the 'parent' page get bigger and scrolls as opposed to using an i-frame. Also, i want to be able to change which page is included by a links bar on the parent page.

The object of this is to allow me to have th same title section/toolbars on every page (and allow me to edit them centrally), and keep the content separate to this. There might be a way with css..

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Mike

http://www.xeron.co.uk
    http://members.tripod.com/awtttheband/

NB - kinda like this - http://www.webdesignforums.net/thread5413.html but without using php (perl is ok)
    (Tripod hosted )

DFS
    Member #
    There's a bit of javascript somewhere that loads URLs into a CSS controlled layer. Does that sound like it would help? Might take me a while to find it, but I can dig it up if you want to take a look

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    You mean how each post takes up its own table? It's just that: content in its own table. You're best off finding a real host that supports any server-side language (Tripod might support SHTML which might work) or just hardcoding the content into the page in question. Javascript is rarely the answer for layout problems, only page control problems
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

DFS
    Member #
    Originally posted by filburt1
    Javascript is rarely the answer for layout problems, only page control problems
    Can't argue much with that

Banned
    Member #
    the way I understood your question you're looking for "includes"

the page that's included contains opening tags... the page that includes it contains closing tags..

looks something like : <include topheader.asp> lets say... but this isn't really simple work.. i suggest doing some research on includes...

I was recently working on an ASP project that needed emergency fixes and it was done like that... I would change the logo lets say on topheader.asp and all pages show the change... you can see how usefull it was for a 74 page site...

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    None of these are the best fix for the problem.

You should be using DOM (Document Object Model) in combination with sub-page submittal (either using frames, iFrames, or modalDialogs) to dynamically create the page as links are clicked. That way, it doesn't have to reload every time a link is clicked. Instead, it does something like this:
    1. Page loads with default content
    2. User clicks a link
    3. Page submits link data to a sub-page (either through an invisible frame, or to a modalDialog)
    4. the sub-page returns data to the main page
    5. javascript on the main page appends content to the end of an element in the HTML using DOM.
    6. Back to #2

This type of page is pretty complex, because it involves the use of advanced server-side code, client-side code, DOM, and DHTML.

If you want an example, I'll try to throw something together for you later this week, but right now, I'm swamped. I'm gonna be on-site at [EDIT: a client's office] most of this week.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I have a very stupid question/comment concerning this: if the links are external links to other sites, then why not just use a frameset to enclose them inside of your site?

Putting them into your content using DHTML and JavaScript (which would be about the only way I would personally see to do this if they were external) is a royal pain in the butt and, as a user, I would personally find this to be something of a misrepresentation of content.

If they're all internal links, then your best bet is to create a server-side include file for the template and create separate page files containing the content, as ivcho pointed out.

If your links are both internal and external, go with a hybrid of the two.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Ok, wait. I re-read the initial post.

If the idea is just to be able to edit your navigation or header / footer centrally, try using SHTML with server-side includes like this:

page.shtml
    --------------------------------------------------
    <!--#Include File="header.htm"-->
    Here's the content of my page
    <!--#Include File="footer.htm"-->

header.htm
    <html>
    <head><title></title></head>
    <body>
    <table>