Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a basic html page, and when i click on a link i want the user to put a username and password that is pre-defined in order to visit the specific page. How do i go about doing this?

Member #
    It depends, some hosts allow you to have certain folders Password protected (such as f2g.net).

The only way I know of password protecting something is via javascript, and that isnt exactly the safest method ever.

Member #
    If you don't have access to a serverside script, then you can place the pages you need to password protect in a seperate folder, and add a .htaccess file in there.

Any links that points to that folder, will generate a popup login window, where username and password has to match predefined values.

If you can't use .htaccess, then there's little you can do beyond JavaScritp solutions. Those are quite unssecure.

As the script works clientside, any username/password combination would be readable through "View Source", after loading the page.

One idea is to have a special name on the files you try to hide, and use that name as a password.
    Ex. a protected page can be named 'Met34qxl.htm'. The password would be 'Met34qxl'.

Of course, if people know the name of the page beforehand, they can just type in the name in the URL.
    Code:
      <form onsubmit="location.href = this.code.value + '.htm'; this.code.value=''; return false">
        <input type="password" size="10" name="code">
        <input type="SUBMIT" value="OK" onclick="location.href = this.form.code.value +  '.htm'; this.form.code.value='';  return false">
      </form>
    This type of security is of course extremely weak.

There is a program called AtriseHTMLock, which basically makes a hash of all your html code. To access the hashed page, you have to enter predefined password. You can read about it here. That adds a bit more security than Javascript solutions.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    thanks guys, i'll check it out

Remove Ads