Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Wohoo! I just finished making my site serv application/xhtml+xmlcontenttype to the browser! Including the hack to make IE serv text/htmlinstead! Took me only 6 hours! I understand why XML isn'tmore accepted,including xhtml strict and transitional, bearing in mindhow hard it isto make it work with IE!!

IE just downloaded it if it was served as application/xhtml+xml instead of rendering it!
    lol. love MS products.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    great!

... WTH does that all mean?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Hehe, it means that I'm serving the content on my site in application/xhtml+xml, instead of text/html. This since I'm using XHTML Transitional, and the recommendation for that is to use XML as output. (I could serve the pages as .xml as well)
    So if I make a slight error in the code it causes all the 'real' browsers like Firefox, Mozilla, Opera etc to halt the rendering of the page and show where the error is instead.
    It's a bit of a chellange to keep the code valid at all times and you won't have to bother with the validating services since it just halts if there is an error.
    And then, IE can't handle the newer MIME types, so in order for IE to display the page I have to feed it with text/html as normal instead.
    There is a good thing about this, and that's keeping standards, and also, now my source code in XHTML can be parsed by a XML parser, just as any standard XML document, making it possible for anyone who likes to load specific content from my source code!
    Read the quote somewhere: "It took us XML to teach us HTML"... since now when I look at really old web design tutorials, I see them using (for example) <p> as a double-new-line tag.
    The stuff about IE just downloading it is when I don't feed IE with text/html. IE then downloads the source code (u know the dialog with save as, open and cancel), which is kinda lol.

//Henke

Remove Ads