Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Ok, Where to begin... Pardon my length..

I'm a Novice web guy, as a matter of fact I'm the IT/LAN person for a remote office of our company. I stepped up to assist the web 'stuff' when the previous webmaster left the company. And, instead of spending the $$ on a new webmaster they tossed updates and minor changes in my lap. (See previous posts by me)

The site itself needs a redesign, yet the company will not be spending the money to have this accomplished. This is where I come in. And I'd love the help from some experts... You guys..

My task is navigation, the navigation on this Intranet is horrible and making changes to the overall navigation is time consuming and frankly stupid, I don't know who designed this but its very poor. There are more than 207 pages in this intranet and when one small navigational edit happens a web person must touch each and every page to finalize the change.

There has got to be a better way to navigate this website.

Questions:
    • How can I create one navigation area which will follow the site on all pages. What is the best way to do this?
    • What about dropdown / slide over lists, some of the categories in my example have 4 and 5 sub categories. How should this be accomplished?
    • Making adjustments to this page has been a challenge, it was created by a consultant some years ago and needs an update. Do you have any recommendations?

I'll attach a copy of the code for the site.

Member #
    Hey David. Welcome to the forum!.....well after looking at the code youre dealing with and the actual page in html form, id have to say that youve got your work cut out for you. my best suggestion would be convert to a CSS based layout instead of the table layout you have now...but beware, this will be time consuming. a CSS layout will benefit you considerably due to the fact that you can actually create a CSS style sheet in a seperate document, and then link to it from your main pages. this will save you time updating because you wont have o touch every single page(like you would have to with tables). all you do is update the stylesheet. theres alot of people here who have great knowledge about design. read through some of the threads about CSS. that will get you on your way.
    Jeff Mills

Member #
    oops.looks like this isnt your 1st time here...welcome anyway!
    Jeff Mills

Member #
    sorry i keep getting sidetracked........as far as the navigation. you could use some php. its fairly easy to learn. and you can link to php scripts just like css. except you could have the whole navigation menu in the script. add some content, delete some content, and it will reflect on all of your pages that youve linked the script to. is the web gig a permanent or temporary thing?
    Jeff Mills

Member #
    Web gig...

Well, that depends Its been since last May that I've been making edits and changes, keeping in the same general template. I know for a fact that many of the groups within the company are crying for a rebuild but the $$ isn't there to spend on it. (Other than the $$ for me)

Ok, so back up to your first post. Is it possible to have the main navigation areas layed out in a .css form and just make a call to it? Essentially we want everything on the outside of the page part of the navigation, along the side, and on the top. The large main area in the middle with the white bkg would be for content.

Oh this is daunting...

Member #
    sorry about the vernacular. im just a beach bum kind of guy.didnt mean to offend. as far as the navigation setup you want, id go with php. the css would just be for layout matters. thats why i asked if you were on the project for a while. cause it would take some time to convert that site to css.
    the "include" statement in php would work well for your navigation though.
    if you echo the html you used in your navigation, you could save that to a external php file and then just link to it with the include statement wherever you like.
    Jeff Mills

Member #
    No offense, It is a gig, I use that word myself.

Ok I think you've lost me. Do you have a tutorial which shows it? Does this (PHP) work for a longterm situation? Is it something for a business application?

Or

Can you give me a simple example so I can see the 'mechanics'?

Member #
    This is actually one of the easiest things that you can do with php.
    You will have to make a script something like this:
    <?php
    echo "html used to make navigation";
    ?>
    save this as "whatevername.php".
    when you call on this script, it will output all of the html you write inside the quotation marks AS html(not text).
    so whenever you go to update your menus, just add or delete whatever you want(to or from the html inside the quotes), and as long as youve called the script on the pages you want your navigation on(presumably all), the changes will reflect on every one. Sux that you have over 200 pages on the site though
    Heres how to call the script:
    <?php
    include('whatever_you_named_the_script.php');
    ?>
    Viola.
    Jeff Mills

Member #
    Hell, I hit 200 pages to change one navigation point from 'Systems' to 'ABC Systems'..... Um, its a INTRANET, only those in the ABC company can see it, why... oh don't get me going...

Ok, thanks for the update, I'll check it out today.

Member #
    Ok, I seem to be having trouble getting this to work. With the call to the PHP file it doesn't load any of the html I placed there. I followed your directions above exactly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads