Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I just got a mac, and I have some sites on my computer that have css to specify the scroll bar colors, and safari, firefox, IE for mac, or netscape aren't showing them. Is it impossible to do on a mac, or is there a special code that speaks just to these browsers? I thought I have seen it on a different website, maybe I am wrong?!?!

Member #
    It only works on Windows versions of IE. You can't even style form fields, etc. in Safari because its all in Aqua.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It's bad web design to do it, also, because you make the page less usable. Everybody knows what a scroll bar or a textbox looks like on their system without you (not specifically you) redefining it.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Thanx for the replies, I just think it looks better when the scroll bar matches the page, especially when there is a scroll bar in the middle of the page, like on my iframe (yeah, I know, another no-no), but since I have gotten my mac I tested the page (which isn't live) on all the mac suported browsers (IE for mac, firefox, safari, netscape, and maybe even opera) and only one didn't present the info (opera I believe) and the only problem with the others was the scroll bar commands. Of course that was all in the most recent versions of each, one day I will learn that lesson also....

Member #
    Ok, I found a custom scroll bar, it is here http://www.drinkbetterwater.com/ you have to go to the ingredient glossary and choose a flavor, when it opens the info there is a clear scroll bar and the bar is textured, I understand this may have something to do with thier weirded out site anyways, and not some sort of html or css code, but that poses another question, how did they make that site (if anyone knows) cuz when you click the back button instead of taking you to the previous page you were looking at it takes you to the page you were looking at before you entered the site (a feature I have always hated and would never build a site this way) but I am extremely curious how this is achieved?!?!! Anyone?

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That site's written in flash so it doesn't adhere to the CSS/HTML rules. The scrollbar is an object within the flash itself and not generated by the browser.

The back button will take you to wherever you were before you visited that site. That's because as far as the browser is concerned you've only gone to one page. When you click links within the flash site it loads information according to its own rules and the browser has nothing to do with this.

Member #
    Awesome I was not aware whole sites could be a flash, very cool... isn't the back thing annoying to most users, or is the payoff from the flexiblity more valuable? I guess they just put buttons in the flash to navigate back....

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's a payoff between usability and the designers aims.

Remove Ads