Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im setting up a site with a big number of pages. When a user types a word related to what they want to find, (eg. "Bar"), they should be moved to a new page with a list of all pages with that word in them.

eg.
    I enter "Bar" in the text box and when i click search a list of all the bars come up on the next page...

I know HTML well and Javascript not so well.
    I know that i need meta tags with the main words in each page.(ie. entertainment, bar, nightlife, drink, etc...).

Can somebody tell me the code needed for this search engine and how is it possible to display different results on the same url page. The search engine will search all pages on my site, but my site only...

Any info will be greatful,

Thanks for your time....

Member #
    I'm not really sure what you mean...but you can use google to have a search bar on your site that will search your site only or the internet.

Member #
    You'll need a serverside script to do that. Javascript can only handle things clientside, meaning any other pages residing on your server, will be inaccessible to the script.

You can check out these two threads in the PHP forum:

http://www.webdesignforums.net/php_a...ons_18630.html
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/php_a...elp_18651.html

The easiest solution is an external robot searching your site, like www.freefind.com. The hits will be presented on a different URL, but within a template of your choice (to give the impression of still beeing your site).

However, if you want to take care of business within your own roam, you'll have to use a serverside script.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    himmmm, think i know what you mean by a serverside script...

I dont want it going through any other sites script. Entirely through my code, searching my sites pages. (Only finding matching words within the meta tags?).
    Will have a look at the above forums you mentioned.

And Thx...

Member #
    A serverside script is a script that resides and executes on the server.
    There are many different serverside script languages (ASP, ASPX, PHP, JSP, Cold Fusion, PEARL etc).

What they all have in common, is that they require a parser to compile and execute the script at runtime (when the page is requested), and present the result to the client (the web browser asking for the page).

Contrary to a normal HTML (which is just delivered unprocessed to the client), a script page is first processed by the servers script engine, before the output is delivered to the client.

Example:

//Page the way it is stored on the server, with a bit of embedded PHP code.
    <body>
    <?php echo "Hello World<br>\nIt's me!"; ?>
    </body>

// Would show up in the clients browser as:
    <body>
    Hello World<br>
    It's me!
    </body>

The code is invisible to the end user. He will only see HTML (if he clicks 'view source').

The great advantage of server languages over clientside languages like JavaScript, is that they don't require anything from the client. (A browser with javascript turned off, won't be able to run any javascript present on the page).
    Additionally, the serverside scripts have full access to all documents and databases stored on the server (even remote servers for that matter).

They tend to have a lot more advanced features than any clientside script can offer. They offer huge advantages in security compared to clientside languages, and they are totally transparent to the end user.

Any type of interaction between server and client, such as searching databases (like looking for a book on Amazon.com or ordering a plane ticket), requires a serverside language.
    S. Rosland

Member #
    ok. So im getting very confused about all this.
    Can someone now tell me the script I need to put on the site that will request a word or words.
    When a command button is clicked it will bring me to a new page(designed by me not Google or anyother site), and desplay all the word match results of each page in a list format.

To make it easier, all the results will be on the same page with just the name of the page and its title being displayed.

Any easier options will be greatful

Thanks for your time again...

Baz

Remove Ads