Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all,

Is there a way to hide a hyperlink from all users but ONE? For instance we have a training coming up and in this training there will be a few new (Yet unfinished) templates revealed. The trainer wants access to these templates as part of their presentation on the main live web page where all the other templates are located. However, we don't want these templates out in the general public just yet.

Is there a way to embed into this live html page a url that will only be visible to one person, ie the trainer.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There's a few methods.

You could link to a password protected directory so that although the link can be seen only the trainer has the password to view the page.

If you can be sure of the IP address of the trainers PC you can do a quick check for that in the page before showing the link.

You can name the page something random and unguessable and not link at all, just ask the trainer to type the page name in directly and use a robots file to prevent the page getting indexed on Google and the rest.

Member #
    Is there a way to check the machine name or username...

Like If username=x then show this html code... In some script somewhere?

We will not know the trainers IP he will be connected at a building conference room and coming in via our vpn.

The PW may be an option. They are just looking for something seemless.

Member #
    If you use sessions and PHP, you can keep track of who's viewing the page, and have diffeent items (like your link) pop up if a certain user is logged on.

See example in this thread from the php forum.
    S. Rosland

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    There is a way to do this if the site is running asp (it is a corporate network after all). I've not got the code with me at the moment but I can pass it on tomorrow.

If the PC is using AD/NT authentication the login detais can be retrieved by the page.

Member #
    A simple mysql table with 1 row, with a username column and password column. Then, you tell the guy the details you set, that way, he should be the only one who knows. And then it is very easy to show specific HTMl to him and no one else.

Depends if you have server side support.

Member #
    Thanks for all the feedback this is great.

Rosland I'll take a look at that thread tonight.

It is running asp, and AD/NT auth is used to grant users access.
    I'm a novice at this... and I have no real support from the staff at my company...grrrr. I'd love to take a look at that code.

As for server side support, I have that and can do most anything I'd like.

Remove Ads