Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Masking Links

Member #
    Masking links?

I have a site with some realllllly long links. Like http://www.mydomain.com/stuff/morest...363594734.html

Long stuff like that. In the address bar it's really messy to see all that, I've seen some sites where the main domain name just stays in teh address bar the whole time. How can I do this? So when someone navigates through my website the address bar will always remain www.mydomain.com?

I'm using php and html.

Thanks.

Member #
    Bump, I really need an answer to this if anyone has an idea.

Member #
    I tried posting this in the beginners forum but that place seems pretty dead and I didn't get any replies.

I have a site with some realllllly long links. Like http://www.mydomain.com/stuff/mores...2363594734.html

Long stuff like that. In the address bar it's really messy to see all that, I've seen some sites where the main domain name just stays in teh address bar the whole time. How can I do this? So when someone navigates through my website the address bar will always remain www.mydomain.com?

I'm using php and html.

Thanks.

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The easiest way to do that is to dump the entire site into a frameset consisting of one frame. Don't do it though because keeping the URL the same throughout the site is not something visitors like. Neither is using frames but if you're going to break one standard you may as well go the whole hog.

A more elegant (although personally I think it's also an incorrect practice) way is to use the Apache module "mod_rewrite" to clean up the URL's.

Banned
    Member #
    You could use two methods. You could use frames like mossoi suggests. The messy urls would be related to the frame. That way the address bar relates to the parent frame. I personally hate frames. I might try using Iframes instead.

Or:

You could code your website in PHP to only use index.php You could have every link pass a var like ?page=314234 to index.php Then the index page would redirect to that actual page. You could user the header function to redirect in an Iframe. If you don't redirect inside an Iframe the ?page=2343 would still be visisble but that is much cleaner.

Hint: If your site is using sessions, you cannot get around messy URLS. Session data needs to be passed in the URL.

The solution really depends in how your website is setup. What is the URL?

Member #
    Or you can use ASP .Net which is a VERY powerful tool indeed, and is easy to learn.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...lrewriting.asp
    www.asp.net/tutorials

the url rewriting can be used to show the www.domain.com address instead.

Member #
    you're looking for url cloaking. But I wouldn't recommend it as search engines see this as an attempt to boost ranking by putting all the content under one url. It might drop your ranking. Plus when the user refreshes, it'll always go to the home page.

Member #
    simply put use the window.status command as follows

Code:
    window.status = "the text"
    place this on links in a onmouseover and it will keeptthe status the same eg:
    HTML Code:
    <a href="www.someplace.com" onmouseover="window.status='text here'" />link text</a>
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    pyrodragon, please note the signature rules, which do not allow for font sizes above the default.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Remove Ads