Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm no great web designer, and I recently toyed with a bit of XML to see what it's like. I think my little foray into it is still up... yeah, here. Not that that is of much consequence, but my question is how do people keep (I'm guessing XML) websites updated reguarly? Do they open up the likes of Dreamweaver or open up notepad and copy the relevant tags to create another XML entry? Do they make a little program with C++ or whatever with a few fields which they fill in and then click a button to upload the new xml file automatically? What do people generally do?

TIA
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a measure of security, deserve neither liberty nor security"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Well, I generally use (X)HTML for my web sites.

If someone wants easy updating capability they use a content management system (CMS). They can be made with a server-side language and a database. You can make your own, or you can get one at a site like http://opensourcecms.com.

I used to keep a blog for 2 years by editing the HTML files by hand. If you don't have a large amount of pages to deal with that can be a descent way, but now I'm making a custom CMS because I'm lazy and I don't want to touch a lick of code when I'm updating my site.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Basically, a forum is a CMS in a sense. See how easy it is to post? Same is regularly done for most sites. There's an automated form somewhere that updates a database. Some are designed using ASP, some are designed using PHP.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Hey

Personally i made a little CMS in PHP. All it is is one password protected online page where there are a few forms. Some allow me to edit or delete exiting blogs or comments while others allow me to add new protfolio/design diaries or blogs into a database.

IMO that is the best way to update your site

Hope that helped

Jamie

Member #
    Many thanks you three. I forgot all about the PHP-Nuke kind of systems. I've had a look at various CMSs on offer, but I think that I may run with Jamie's idea. I know *almost* no PHP, but I find that giving yourself a relatively (for me) complex task is the best way to get to grips with them. I'll let you know how I get on
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a measure of security, deserve neither liberty nor security"
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Remove Ads