Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Sorry if this in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where it went best as it covers a load of different technologies.

This is my first post and I am a mere novice so bear with me!

I have been developing a website for a musician friend of mine I have stumbled on the PNG transparency problem in IE very late on in the game.

Sadly this has scuppered my site rather badly, and although I have managed to sort some of the problems raised by this issue with the sleight.js script, I haven't fixed all the problems.

Basically the page consists of a bunch of presliced images acting as cell backgrounds in PNG format. Atop of these sits the dynamic, changing content.

In the content window I have made considerable use of image mapping to act as links for javascript window openers and additionaly, on some pages I wish to scroll the content image while keeping the background cell image stationery.

While the sleight script fixes the transparency issue it prevents the use of image maps and the use of scrolling.

http://www.eyesite-design.co.uk/giles/media.html

On this page I had individual image maps over each of the gallery pictures.These were inoperative after the workaround was completed.

http://www.eyesite-design.co.uk/giles/biography.html

On this page I want to allow the cell to be scrollable, thus allowing the full biography to be read while the background image of the sunset stays put. Before implementing the fix script this worked fine using the css overflow command. Now in IE, it doesn't scroll.

Anyone who could offer a solution to this problem I would be most grateful to. Please bear with me I am a relative novice and have probably set myself up for problems.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Tony

Member #
    Advice / Question

Yeah, what can I say. Microsoft SUCKS for letting IE SUCK.

But I'll try to help.

I'm not sure what fix the 'sleight' fix is, but is it similar to / have you tried the fix at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngtestfixed.htm ?

Also, in regards to your problem with image maps and PNG semitransparency etc:
    Go ahead and use PNG, but instead of image maps, try using <a> tags inside a table. i.e. use Photoshop 'slices' instead of image maps, and then wrap <a href> tags around any of the images created by Photoshop that you want to act as a link. That has the added benefit of not using image maps which don't always work (and are a pain in the butt for WebTV users).

Oh, and I just noticed: off the link I gave you above, it says:
    * Works with imagemaps and input images using a special version

As for your scrolling problem, I can't help you decisively at the moment, but try defining a height somewhere, perhaps by adding a 1px transparent GIF and sizing it equal to the PNG you are using a fix on - then having it scroll with your large PNG.

Let me know how those work.
    alan

PS - That site looks very nice!
    I am Alan Hogan (@alanhogan on Twitter). I like PHP, UI/UX design, and OS X.

Member #
    First and foremost please let me thank you very much for your help. Your response was helpful and very well explained, not to mention polite. What a lovely change and a nice welcome compared to the at best hostile response that I got from the people at the devshed forums who only managed to point out tha my site asn't visible in a text only viewer! Hilarious!

The sleight.js is relatively similar to the pngfix script that you pointed to and I have actually already happened upon this script and the image map version also.

I am having a great deal of difficulty getting the site to work correctly with my image maps even when using the new script. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have uploaded the latest build of the website to the same address as before. I was wondering if you could have a look at the media page and my source and see if you can see what is going wrong and why the image maps still don't work in IE/Win.

I really like your idea of using slices in photoshop. If I don't get anywhere with the image maps png fix, I may try that.

Thanks again. If you could have another look at my latest build at

www.eyesite-design.co.uk/giles/media.html I would be eternally grateful!

Also, thanks so much for saying you liked the look of the site, I was beginning to feel very disheartened!

Regards

Tony

Member #
    Hmm, if you've tried the image-map version and it didn't work, there's not much I can tell you. I don't use image maps, myself. I would read up anything I could on the site I told you about (if you haven't yet).

If necessary though, I imagine that for pages like Media - i.e. where scrolling is unnecessary - you could simply use a composite GIF or PNG without alpha transparency, already blended with the background.

Unfortunately, that's all I can really think of right now. I wish I knew what went on inside some project manager's head at Microsoft - then I could explain why it is so stubborn and won't work the way it should. Sigh.

One final comment - Your new media page scrolls (inexplicably) in IE now; I don't know why, but if you removed your overflow:auto; statement from that page, it could do the trick. (Of course, you still will want scrolling some of your other pages - Go ahead and try that 1px gif trick somehow...)

Hope that helps,
    Alan

Member #
    Thanks again Alan, I am of to bed now so i will try these ideas when I get home from work tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks alot.

Tony

Member #
    I have a new idea -- I'm busy now (gotta do some schoolwork) but if I try it and it works, would you be able to give me a link off either your site, your client's site, or both?

Member #
    Yes no problem I would absolutely be able to do that. Do you mean a link to your website or something similar?

If you could make clearer what you mean, no problem, although I am sure it is a yes whatever! I am typing in bed so I am being most slow!

Thanks

Tony

Member #
    I would just like to say a big thank you for your assistance with getting the site of the ground. The broadband version is done and ready to be viewed!

http://www.gisforgiles.com

If your interested, please feel free to drop by. If you like music, have a listen to the guys music also, he is a great friend, and he is trying to break into the music scene,

Thanks again for all of your assistance, it was a big help, not to mention very friendly and courteous.

Regards

Tony

Member #
    Hey, no problem, and I'm glad you got it to work for you! I was going to get around to trying my idea, which was basically applying the fix manually (no javascript) and thus having more control. However, I've been really busy lately (most recent work: Firefox Soapbox). Again, it's a nice site, and congrats on getting it to work!

Remove Ads