Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi mates. I am new to this forum, and new to web designing. So, to be honest I know almost nothing about web designing. But since I'm studying computing I might take a web designing course later.

So here's my first question for you. My friend gave me a domain for free, which he's not using at the moment. I am going to use this for my 'businss'; sort of, I'm still 17 but I work as a technician on my own. All I did was to upload a template.

Now, on the left there are some links to other pages (index.html, index1.html etc...) Now, I have changed the first link (which is a gif picture) and named it 'Home' with Photoshop (it was Link 1 before). In other words I had Link 1 - 8 and I have to edit them with phtoshop to other words I would like.

Now I have 'Home' which directs you to index.html. When I go the Link 2 (index1.html), the 'Home' .gif reappears as 'Link 1'. But I have removed the previous 'gifs and replaced them with the modified 'Home' .gifs

Sorry to confuse you, I hope I will get some help. By the way, here's the website I'm trying to build (don't care of the name, my friend is going to change it for me later on):

http://www.gameserverforum.com/

Englandshire, United Kingdomsville y'all!
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Welcome to the forum.

The links are coded into each page which means the changes you made to index.html for the image aren't present on index1.html, index2.html, etc.

Ideally the navigation would be included as a seperate file but as the template is already written there are a couple of ways you can resolve this.

You can either edit every page of the site to replace the link1 graphic with the home graphic or you can rename you home graphic to the same name as the link1 graphic (effectively overwrite the original) and undo the changes you have made to index.html.

The latter option will be quicker as it saves editing every page of the site.

Member #
    Thanks mossoi for your fast reply.

As far as I know I have replaced the gif files with the original names and replaced them. they are named link1a.gif (for the unselected link) and link1b.gif (for the unselected link). I've edited them with photoshop and replaced them leaving the names as they were.

Have you viewed the website? When you go to Link 2, you will see the a 'Link 1' (which is not uploaded, becuase I replaced it), but when you move the pointer over it, you will see a the 'Home' link, and then when you move away the pointer again you will notice the 'link 1' gif.

Strange, isn't it?

EDIT: By the way, was browsing your website, very interesting and nice clean layout :thumbsup:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    As far as I can see http://www.gameserverforum.com/images/link1a.gif is still the old link 1 image. Have you tried uploading your modified image again and checked that it's uploading into the right location?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mossoi
    As far as I can see http://www.gameserverforum.com/images/link1a.gif is still the old link 1 image. Have you tried uploading your modified image again and checked that it's uploading into the right location?
    I will upload the modified gif again. I'm using DeluxeFTP. Will post back when done. Just to ask, is it possible that it takes time for the server to apply new files? I have the index.html files into the public_html folder, and in the same folder I have a sub folder named Images which has all the images there, including the link gifs.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The server location you're using for the images is correct. When you upload a file through FTP the change is immediate but sometimes your browser cache will hold onto the old image. Clearing your cache will resolve this but in this case it's not the problem because I can see the old image at that location as well and I've not been to the site before.

Member #
    Nah... I have replaced the gif again, and made ssure that the attributes are set the same as others. The strange thing is, that when I download the link1a.gif from the public_html/images folder it will be 'LINK 1' even though I will upload the modified 'HOME'.

EDIT: So what do you think it's the best thing to do?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's working fine for me now. Try clearing your cache and refreshing a couple of times.

(see attached image)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Ah, Ok mate. Mine is still hehe. But at least I know the problem is solved thanks to you. I am going to give it some time, and then re-check later. I have cleared cache and temp files. I use maxthon browser so I just cleared chache from the menu. I will post later, just to let you know it's working.

... for sure I am going to encounter other problems and difficulties during my work So I am going to post several threads here.

Member #
    Mine is still the same, even when I download it from the public_html. I think it takes time to the server to apply it for certain 'places'.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads