Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I've see more and more pages comming up that don't have any tables and just use CSS to position <div> and <span> tags. At first I turned my back on this idea, but know i am warming to it alot. I am thinking of shifting (where possible) to it compleatly and do all my pages in it.

However before I go head first into this pit does anyone know any drawbacks to using CSS instead of Tables?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    It requires a different mindset to design pages using CSS rather than tables. However, it is a good thing to do. Tables should only be used for tabular data, whereas CSS is designed specifically for precise control over page elements.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Both have their pros and cons. CSS is fantastic, the only downside I see to it, is that browser support varies a lot and some times it can be a bit of a mission to get the page displaying how you want it in different browsers.

Apart from this obvious down fall, it seperates style from structure and you can handle all visual elements of you page with the use of CSS and not have to worry about touching the HTML on your site which means you can have some nice, lean, mean, semantic markup. Pages will load faster, it is easier to update and make changes to your pages visual appearance and numerous other reasons as to why you should use CSS. There are hundreds of articles on this whole web standards and CSS thing, which can keep you busy for a few days no doubt

As filburt said, tables should only be used to hold tabular data. But a lot of designer use heavily nested tables for the design of their website. I guess the good thing about it, is it is easier to get the design spot on across multiple browsers.

CSS is the recommended standard now though and browser support will only improve in the future. All the above is REALLY brief. There is a huge amount of information on the whole CSS v Tables saga.

Member #
    when you say tables should only be used for tabular data. Do you mean just if you want to display a table of information on a website. like a price chart.

Remove Ads