Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,

I would like to have a calendar(in a table), that is rather small, small enough that it makes it difficult to read the text in each table cell.. When you mouse over a date, a larger box appears above that date, with the text from that date. You can roughly see the effect I'm going for here(not in IE, but most anything else):

http://mat.is-a-geek.com/April2-2005.html

This example is much too 'jumpy' for my liking, but I can't seem to find a way to accomplish what I'm imagining. Like I said, instead of the box actually getting bigger, like I have done it, I would like a new box, which is a little larger, to 'float' above, with the text this is current in the date you mouse'd over.

I'm not sure if it can be done, or how difficult it would be, but any suggestions, or 'points in the right direction', would be most appreciated.

bcode

Member #
    Look into <div> and absolute positioning. It can be done, a good example is Google Maps, which shows something similar when you click on map destinations.

Member #
    Hey Fallout,

Thanks for the reply, and in fact I was assuming I would have to css for the positioning, but the thing that I'm not sure about, is how to get the text from a < td > tag, and stick it in the new box I have floating... Any suggestions?

bcode

Member #
    Just try to have a bigger div, initially hidden, inside each <td>. Set position:absolute for the <td>'s, and position:relative for the <div>'s (that's a trick that's been covered in a tutorial here to make this work in IE). Then use javascript mouseover event to show the hidden div. I think you can change the relative position of the div with left: and top:.

I know this can work, but oddly, on IE <td>'s to the left and below the div will be in front of it, no matter what I try.

Anyway, that does the job, and resizing table cells are really annoying.
    James H
    Home Page · Mars Page · www.fihsf1.net (formerly www·fihs·net)

Member #
    If I know what you are talking about, you have two sets of divs, one for the big boxes, one for the small, and set the visibility to none for the big boxes. Then, use Javascript to change visibility.
    If you don't like Javascript (I don't) make them all anchors with no href atrribute, set the display to block, and use a:hover to change the visibility. Something like this:
    Code:
    a:hover {
    visibility: true; //(I dunno, never use this)
    display:block;
    //extra css
    }
    a {
    visibility:none;
    display:block;
    //extra css
    }

Remove Ads