Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey all, this is my first time trying to use CSS, so I don't know too much yet. Anyway, here is my stylesheet code so far:

A:link { font-family: verdana; color: gray; text-decoration: none; font-size: 10pt }
    A:hover { color: 7BA6D4; text-decoration: underline; font-size: 10pt }
    A:visited { font-family: verdana; color: gray; text-decoration: none; font-size: 10pt }

So the links turn blue when you hover over them. But they do not change color on link that I have already visited. So when I go to a link, and then come back to it the A:hover property doens't work.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the visited property takes presidence over the hover property. What you are describing is normal, and I haven't found a way to get around this either!

Member #
    So there's nothing I can do about it? I'm stuck with it not using the hover property on visited links?

JR
    Member #
    you are not alone, this problem has been bugging me for ages and i have never found it important enough to ask or find out
    JR

Member #
    My first reaction is to say yes, however, hovering over the "Smilies" link right next to the quick reply box on this page, the link changes color, and i've clicked on it before. I dont know if a visited link property is defined on the style sheet used here, or even if something else other than a style sheet is used on the forum.

Basically, I'm as interested as you are to see other ppl's response to this question!

Member #
    I may be misunderstanding your question, but I know (and just tested it) that if you put "visited" before "hover", it should all work correctly.

Member #
    dinologic is my new hero

I thought I tried that before, but I probaly screwed up in editing my style sheet. This works for me now too.

JR
    Member #
    thanks dino, i will keep that one in mind :classic:
    JR

Member #
    No problemo.

But now I have a NEW question. I always hear about how css makes rollovers a snap but always assumed that I must not know how to use them effectively. Would anyone care to give a quick rundown on some methods of css rollovers?

For instance, for a tablecell rollover, I always end up using DHTML and have to "hardcode" the new background color in the javascript. Furthermore, it requires using onmouseover and onmouseout in the td element which is just tedious. Is there an easier way? Here are the typical rollover functions that I'll use...

function roll_over(elmnt)
    {
    document.all[elmnt].style.background='#333333';
    }

function roll_out(elmnt)
    {
    document.all[elmnt].style.background='';
    }

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Member #
    (before you respond, please note that i do realize that DHTML does use CSS )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads