Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Banned
    Member #
    i want to build a website but it will be a large one, on this site i will have a latest reviews section in the sidebar, anyway it will havre the latest reviews under text links that go to the actual page. but what if some of the pages get really old and the latest reviews change i dont wanna go through 500 pages of html and redo the links in that sidebar every time theres a new review. so what do i do, i thought of using frames but dismissed the idea immediatly as that would make thew links open up in that frame. so my question is: is there a way to make a block in a sidebar easily editable from one source and have it affect all the pages of html in my domain every time i want to edit the block on one external source?????

Member #
    depending on the server you're using, you can use PHP to do this. I know next to nothing about PHP, but one thing I do know about is the php "require" function. It's really easy to use, but your server needs to have php installed. An older technology, shtml can do this also. Does your server have php?

Banned
    Member #
    it does but i dont want to use php as i dont know a line of code from php

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    You can use server side includes with PHP, ASP, or SHTML. It's basically the same as HTML, but you add something like this:

<!--#Include File="file_path.htm"--> and the server will paste the HTML from "file_path.htm" into your page.

It's really handy for creating navigations, as well as headers and footers for all your html pages (banners, top navigation, bottom navigation, etc.)

Here's a thread where I showed an example of how to do it:

http://www.webdesignforums.net/showt...5519#post68869

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What transio said. The include file is an excellent tool for providing an exterior layout without the use of frames or iframes.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    i found out how to do it with the frames, i just had to targeyt the links in the iframe to top...

Remove Ads