Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have a navigation column which is floated (using CSS) on the left hand side of my page. The column has a background color different from the rest of the page and a border. The problem is that when the list of links (<ul>) inside the column gets too long, Mozilla and Firefox do not extend the background color and bottom border downwards to accommodate the links making the links spill out the bottom of the block. There is no problem with this in IE.

I don't want to have to manually set the height of the colonm for every page (each of which have link lists of differnt sizes) and I want the bottom border to be the same distance below the bottom of the list in every page. I've tried setting the height of the div to auto, but this hasn't helped. I also tried putting the list of links inside a <p> tag, but this didn't help either.

I would be grateful for any suggestions about how to fix this problem.

Member #
    Ooops, problem solved. Somehow, the height was specified to a pixel value in the HTML source of one page. I don't know how it crept in there as I'm trying to keep all the layout in the CSS. Still, it makes me wonder why Internet Explorer didn't show the specified height for the column.

Remove Ads