Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: XML in business

Member #
    how would you explain how XML works in business?

used in databases and its international standard so its comppatable with almost all application

what else?

Member #
    small size. its juz text files, not encoded in any way.. so it will take very small space. its also easy to parse i suppose.
    Hyperair

Member #
    it allows information to be easily put together an interpreted by any application for display or to add to a data base or to preform calculations on it also is easy to modify and does not require out side sources including a dtd to run due to it being strict. the biggest benifit to xml is in its ability to represent information and unlike html and others it gives you the author the ability to create tags for easier layout.
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Member #
    thanks both

good answer there pyrodragon could have done with it few days ago hehe

i got the job it was for ne way
    cheers guys

Member #
    XML doesn't produce smaller files, it produces larger files. The format is not compressed and it has to be parsed since its in text form. This means that is slower than a real database and isn't practical for any large scale data collections unless compression is applied. Of course compression slows things down more (since you have to compress and decompress) so in the end XML is not a solution for sizeable databases that are under heavy use. XML is primarily for communication between sources rather than as a substitute for a database. Although for a small scale project or for use where performance is less critical, it does make some sense. I've also heard of idea for using XML for archiving older data on a website. I think that makes sense, since:
    1) It preserves the data and its readability even if the format changes later
    2) Since its an archive it doesn't need much performance

Of course something like that should be compressed which does undo the readability (at least the immediate readability).

Member #
    the real high point for xml is for its ability to be able to be parsed by many different platforms. just look at languages written with it
    (x)html for example was written useing xml this site was written in html.so i has other obvious applications
    Thee Pyro Wolf

Remove Ads