Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Web History

Member #
    Is it possible for your browser not to cache a site that you visit? A client of mine wants his site not to be cached, so that you cannot view the site in the history or any of the images offline.

Is this possible? I doubt it, but I have to ask...

Member #
    It's possible, and I can't really state it any better than this website did:

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/re...le.php/3472881

Member #
    I checked it out, and that solves half of the problem.

Is it possible to have it so the site won't display in browsers history?

Member #
    I don't think you can control that from the webpage, that is a direct function of the web-browser, independent of the source code.
    Anyway, all I'de have to do to is view the source code to get anything I wanted from the site, or if I really got bored write a script in FF using greasmonkey to capture anything I wanted automatically. Your spitting in the wind my friend.

Member #
    I thought so much. I just had to do the research, just in case. The client asked for it, and I said i dont think it could be done, but I would check. Thanks.

Member #
    Why is the client concerned with this? Copywritten material/pics? You can watermark pics making them undesirable to copy, or lower the quality etc.

Member #
    Not really the pics, more the info. He also wants the right-click disabled. I know its pointless, but what the client wants, the client gets...

Everyone can get around these fixes, but as long as he is happy!

Member #
    Yeah - disable right click, just turn off javascripts, instant right-click enabled! It just screams hack me please! What's so important to be protected by disabling right click if it's not pics? So is the info intellectual property? Defined as: "A product of the intellect that has commercial value, including copyrighted property such as literary or artistic works, and ideational property, such as patents, appellations of origin, business methods, and industrial processes."

Member #
    I dont really want to go into it too much, but yeah, its something like that. I have explained that to him that you cannot hide or limit a person from saving public information on the web, but he still wants to try.

As long as he sleeps at night, and I get paid, we are both happy!

Remove Ads