Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Dear folks I was wondering why there are so many languages for programming and scripting?
    What I mean to say is that there are too many languages for such purposes these days and one person is not able to understand all of them.
    Instead why don’t we humans have less number of languages which are more powerful?

And why they’ll become more powerful?
    Well obviously when there are fewer languages there are more people related to each and when there are more people related to each one they’ll work more on them, thus making them more powerful.

Take a look at this list I mean its huge and still not all of them
    HTML, XHTML, Java, C (Sharp), ASP, ASP.NET, Cold Fusion, PHP,JSP, Perl, WML, XML, Python, C, C++, Cool, TCL, XSL, REXX, Ruby, Rails, SVG
    I have gathered this list from different sources.

Member #
    Different language can do different things.

When the web took off, web designers needed languages to layout their pages, so a suitable language (HTML) was created.

There is a lot of programming languages granted, but they all have their own user base, this ensures new versions and continued use of them.

Your list overlaps, some are for web, some are for application programming.

Hope this helps

Member #
    Adding to what bfsog said, some languages were developed to suit the needs of the people that built them because the other languages didn't have what they were looking for. Some were made to imitate others and make money, I bet. Some were made to simplify their predecessors. Some were made in a mix-and-match process to take the best of other languages.

Quote Originally Posted by hostbreak
    Instead why don’t we humans have less number of languages which are more powerful?
    That sounds pretty 1984.

Member #
    But what about the languages doing same things but differently

Member #
    As Eddy Bones mentioned, some languages took the good stuff out of several languages, hence which causes the overlaps.

The fact that there is a lot of languages is no big worry.

As a developer you should obviously use the languages which suit the task in hand.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Money.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    There already is 1 language that can do everything. Binary. They even saved us the headache of 1's and 0's and made Assembly Language. Those are the 2 universal languages that old school programmers knew up and down.

All the other languages we see now are just everyone's interpretation of simplifying our lives.

What i'm more interested in...is following this cycle:

First it looked like this: 100011100000011111111010100010
    then it looked like this: mov ax,4C00h
    int 21h
    now it looks like this: object.property = true, if then's, loop, for next and so on

so imagine what the next level of programming will look like...it will all change. Object-Oriented is making things more understandable to the english language. I'm even certain that efficiency (which was taught so strongly by our professors) will not even be important anymore because of the speed of our computers.

The point is...languages are slowly evolving to look more like the english language...so there's going to be even MORE programming languages to pick from in the future.
    Coming this summer...Optimum Site.Com !
    Yea i know, it sounds like a bad movie promo, but it'll be good, I PROMISE! :classic:

Member #
    So it mean's that we need to wait for better languages to be launched by MS alike giants. Thus depending upon just one or 2 companies

Member #
    Yea, its a tough topic to talk about. But i think eventually our compilers will just come with more and more "pre-programmed" functions that will be replaced by a simple words. Unfortunatley, we'll still have about 8 different languages to pick from. It might depend on the type of programmer you are...if you're the type that doesn't like initializing your variables...then maybe Visual Basic is the way to go, where as if you want total program efficiency, maybe c++'s ability to be more specific with variables and its ability to only load certain libraries of code might be your option. I dont know...but i do know that syntax is going to be A BREEZE in the far future... however, i still think we will need the superior problem solving ability. who knows...tough topic...i dont mind dabbling in some assembly language, binary, and hex though Its good for reverse software eng. (which is a big no no )
    Coming this summer...Optimum Site.Com !
    Yea i know, it sounds like a bad movie promo, but it'll be good, I PROMISE! :classic:

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Have any of you guys programmed in Ruby? Python? Lisp? A lot of your "going to bes" are already here
    Code:
    5.times { puts "Hello again!" }

or

repition = "repeat "*5

or

Time.now + 5.months - 3.days + 20.weeks
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads